problem Avast

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
After updating the AVAST program to the latest version today, two kinds of e-mail software are not working on the Verizon accounts.
There is a cryptic message about the SSL something or other. WTF have they done?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Go in to Programs and Features, select Avast, choose Change.
Remove the Mail Shield.

You can also just disable the mail shield, but then you'll occasionally get messages that it's not turned on.

My normal Avast install is just the Virus and Web Shields and just Browser Cleanup and the Repair Disc options. I turn everything else off to minimize the number of weird messages that it generates.
I also put it in Game Mode, turn off Sound and set it to auto-update the main program.

LunarMist

Thanks. Mail shield is not needed because the ATT and Verizon block them anyway?

Mercutio

Avast isn't capable of email that has been secured by stand-alone email applications like Thunderbird or Outlook. Virtually every modern email client and ISP/webmail provided SMTP server expects to talk to clients using secure E-mail, so Avast's mail shield is fairly pointless. And yes, your ISP/webmail provider has its own security scans running.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Lunar, why on earth are you using a free antivirus? Saving up for the next big lens perhaps?

LunarMist

Lunar, why on earth are you using a free antivirus? Saving up for the next big lens perhaps?

OK, what should I use? Frankly I don't want to spend a hundred per year for 7 machine subscriptions, as that builds up year after year and they lock the CC forever. :(

LunarMist

Nailed it. Lunar is going to get this and then tell me how good it is. LOL.

I'm really thinking that doesn't do anything I need very much. I have three 16-35s and the 17TSE, not to mention the 24 TSE II that is my favorite. I still need to bring a 24-70, 70-200, 100-400, etc. and can only carry a limited amount in my condition.

Mercutio

Avast is perfectly fine antivirus protection. It works better than most paid applications in my experience.