timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was wondering how everyone feels about having the avatar images enabled. For me they can be somewhat distracting. But I do notice that quite a few people already have them enabled...

They do not consume any bandwidth so that is not a concern, but I would like to hear comments on whether people like them or not.

-Tim

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have image blocking set up on my main browser, so I don't see most of them. I do see your ghostbusters logo. It looks out of place with everything else, but that's probably just because I don't see any of the others.

I don't see a problem with the images, except that they increase page load times, which is kind of unfortunate for those with browsers that don't ignore off-site images.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well... I tried to put on under my name, but to no avail. Apparently PHPBB2 is too dang picky about URLs. I got the below error with the URL seen below.

"The URL of the remote avatar is not valid"

maxima.jpg

http://stereo.d2g.com:900/maxima.jpg

It's just a little picture of my baby. :(

Stereodude (Who's baby is on the slow boat from Japan now)

Handruin

Administrator
Stereodude said:
Well... I tried to put on under my name, but to no avail. Apparently PHPBB2 is too dang picky about URLs. I got the below error with the URL seen below.

"The URL of the remote avatar is not valid"

maxima.jpg

http://stereo.d2g.com:900/maxima.jpg

It's just a little picture of my baby. :(

Stereodude (Who's baby is on the slow boat from Japan now)

I think it may be due to the :900 in the URL. Are you running a web server off of port 900 or something? I tried linking my avatar to your name and it worked ok. I was testing to see if something was broken, but it appears not. This is a release candidate forum, this could be part of the reason.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
As long as they aren't too large, I don't mind.

I'm sure Pradeep would prefer to see the Avatar option turned disabled ;-)

Stereodude

Not really a
Mercutio said:
You bought a Japanese car and you live in Michigan?

I'd say you're a brave man. :)
Doesn't matter my Japanese car will be faster than the American junk here. Actually most people I know won't buy most domestics either. My father and my two uncles worked for GM. My dad is retired now and he'll never buy another GM product if he can help it. Even in the Detroit Metropolitan area there are a lot of imports on the road. No one seems to care anymore.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Not really a
Handruin said:
I think it may be due to the :900 in the URL. Are you running a web server off of port 900 or something? I tried linking my avatar to your name and it worked ok. I was testing to see if something was broken, but it appears not. This is a release candidate forum, this could be part of the reason.
I'm nearly certain that it is the odd port. Yes, the webserver is running on that port. I was pointing out it is a valid URL despite the error. I guess that would be a bug in PHPBB2.

Stereodude

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Stereodude said:
Doesn't matter my Japanese car will be faster than the American junk here. Actually most people I know won't buy most domestics either. My father and my two uncles worked for GM. My dad is retired now and he'll never buy another GM product if he can help it. Even in the Detroit Metropolitan area there are a lot of imports on the road. No one seems to care anymore.

Stereodude

Well, I drive a four-year-old Crown Vic and I love it. It's black, and I put an old CB antenna on it so everyone thinks I'm a cop. Fast or not, people get out of my way and slow so I can pass them. It's almost better than having a car that's actually fast. :)

Ever seen "Roger and Me"?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
timwhit said:
I was wondering how everyone feels about having the avatar images enabled.

I am fairly indifferent about the static ones. The animated ones, however, are annoying in my opinion.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
As long as they aren't too large, I don't mind.

I'm sure Pradeep would prefer to see the Avatar option turned disabled ;-)

Noooooooo. :eek: Took me a while to whittle down the image so it fit within the height/width/img size limits.

yesnomaybe

What is this storage?
I like my own avatar too...
...but, generally speaking, I find them horrible distracting things. :-?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
YNM,

Glad to see you made it! Great Avatar. How is the browser crash problem?