AVG users, a couple things I don't like, agree?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have been using AVG free sense I rebuilt this machine maybe five weeks ago. I do think it leaves you with a faster machine BUT does the system do real time protection or not? The whole Bioshock think opened my eyes because I installed the game last week on its release day but AVG didn't run into the virus detected in Bioshock.exe until today. So something that it calls a virus (false positive aside) was on my system being used for close to a week!

Further the machine does daily scans and the computer is always on so the scans do run. The scans on the 26, 26, 27 and the 28th (logged) didn't detect this.

Minor gripe; looks like there is no excludes on the free edition. So I will be bothered by this till grifsoft fixes the false positive thing. I can understand they want you to pay for the nice features, and being annoying is a decent incentive.

No updates in a week? Known problem with Bioshock.exe false detection all over the net, this should have been solved by now. My system did its update in the morning before the scan and I asked for another update today, last update was the 28th and the fix for this obviously wasn't in there. Is Grifsoft not proactive with faults and updates or what? Also the previous daily scans didn't detect this, suggesting that the problem was introduced to me via yesterdays update. Way to go, known problem out there and they are still pushing it down via the updater?

In all I was much happier with the protection in Symantec Corp 10 even though it was slower. As soon as I installed or extracted something it stepped in if it found something.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
All virus scanners are after the fact. The virus or rootkit or whatever comes out, then the anti-virus writters go to work.
And, this was a game. I don't think anyone would have thought there was a rootkit in a game (unless it was from Sony).

The free AVG has always worked fine for me. It updates everyday. Maybe a setting some where in AVG is not correct??

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My pro-AVG argument is that it's a lightweight program instead of a CPU/RAM-sucking vampire, it's free and doesn't require much interaction to install (unlike AVast) and that it updates every day without user intervention.

All I want to be able to tell my customers about any security program is that they're getting a level of protection similar to the products they're most familiar with (Symantec, Mcafee) with lower costs and less headaches.

I do have a customer who uses their corporate product now, including the Management Server. I will say they have not had any problems in the ~10 months since they switched; they were on Symantec Corporate and I was dealing with virus-infected machines pretty regularly at that site.