Backup and Data Storage

ErikOoms

What is this storage?
Hi there,

I am a student and currently active as a intern for a school assignment. For this assignment I have to make a analys about the Backup and Data Storage-market. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what are the possible systems and how much these systems cost a year? Thank You,

Kind regards,

Erik

Handruin

Administrator
Erik, you may need to refine your analysis to a specific market or else you'll have one huge paper to research and write. I view the data storage market as being on many different levels (and dramatically different price-points). Are you looking for personal consumer level, entry level business, medium sized business, or large enterprise?

Once you refine that level, it could be possible to give you more specific data points.

ErikOoms

What is this storage?
Handruin, Thanks for your reaction. It's about data storage for middle sized business who want backup of their data and a quite large capacity to store their data. I know the prices of backup to disk-systems but i'm wondering what other systems their are and what they cost in comparison with the B2D-system?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, you're going to have to specify some things, like the existing operating system platform, any database systems in use, how the data is distributed among systems, the available network infrastructure, legal requirements for data storage (e.g. HIPAA), business retention needs and the actual mass of data that needs to be stored.

Depending on the size of the organization and the amount of data involved, this could mean anything from copying a quantity of data to a rewritable DVD once a week up to implementing an EMC Clariion that feeds data to a 324-drive Quantum Scaler tape library with a book full of business rules and a dedicated staff of people who do nothing but manage storage.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Backups and data storage fulfill different requirements. Data storage is for live and nearline purposes with some DR possibilities. Backups are primarily for DR and archiving.