Backup software for DVD burner

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm wondering if anyone knows of good automated backup software that will work with a DVD burner? Kind of like the backup software that is included with Win2k Server. So that I can schedule backups to take place each day.

Thanks.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You might want to read this thread, timwhit.

The problem that JKKJ experienced appears to be confined to his hardware. Apparently NTI considers some older drives so flaky that the software forces a format every time a CD needs initialization.

NTI released a new version of BackupNow when the thread had petered out. I believe we were looking at the older version 2. Version 3 seems to be pretty comprehensive.

I'd just like to give NTI a little plug here after fighting with some of Ahead's products (which work well, but can sometimes be absolutely infuriating). About three years ago, I concluded that NTI had the most solid software among CD-R vendors, and apart from some hiccups along the way, I believe this to still be the case.

Having said that, my latest solution (with CDs) is to use an automated comparison and update utility along with Ahead's InCD. I found that people like to be able to read the backup CDs on another PC, which of course is impractical with conventional backup software. BTW, the update utility I recommend is CopyTo from Kish Designs and costs $10.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I decided to go with NTI even before I got your reply Time. But, thanks for the info. I'll be using it with a Pioneer DVR-A05, I'll let you know how it works.