Belated happy Canada Day, early Independence Day to everyone

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Please forgive my ignorance but is there any similar nation-amalgamating or independence-oriented celebration in Australia?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Australia Day.

January 26th

The First Fleet landed in Sydney Cove in 1788 on that day.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Oh yeah, happy Independence Day everyone. Plans for today, barbie with a ton of grog. Just like Australia Day :)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Australia Day isn't considered a particularly special day. The indigenous population even considers it 'Invasion Day'.

Independence didn't happen until federation on January 1 1901. Unfortunately, that's the day after New Year's Eve, so no-one notices very much. :tgif:

Of the various public holidays, probably Anzac Day (April 25) holds the most significance to everyday Australians. It's where we celebrate the deaths of thousands of Australians and New Zealanders during defeat at Gallipoli in 1915.

Understanding why Australians do this is a key to understanding the national psyche. Another clue is the unofficial national anthem: Waltzing Matilda (about a sheep stealing tramp who commits suicide).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
On the subject of Canadian independence, has anyone heard The Arrogant Worms song, "Proud To Be Canadian"? :)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
You mourn your failures more than you celebrate your successes?

Wow, that's a little ... depressing, isn't it?

Maybe I should move to Australia...