Best Deal on at 32"-36" Tube TV

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Where can I find good deals and reviews on TVs?

Just incase it is not practical to repair my broken Trinitron, I want to make an educated buying decision.

Good picture quality & low price are important to me. I don't have to have a flat screen though. I want the best value in a TV that will not be prone to failure.

Suggestions? 32"-36" is the size I'm interested in...

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The usual suspects: mysimon.com, dealtime.com, crutchfield, vanns, j&r...
Even ebay might be worth a look, if for no other reason than, if you e-mail the people selling TVs, you'll probably hit a couple of small shops willing to cut you a deal.

I wouldn't buy a TV sight-unseen, however. Plus shipping is probably pretty bad.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I've heard very good comments about the flat screen Zenith HDTV. They are supposedly better than the Sony Trinitron. They are also cheaper than the Sony (you doon't pay for the brand name).

I'm satisfied with my flat screen Trinitron, although the image precision could be better.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
check dot pitches, it's a big deal...

Hi
check the dot pitches. Find the smallest ones you can, because the size tv you are looking at, may well have huge dots.
I went with a smaller tv, because the dot pitch was so much smaller at the time I bought. I think mine is a 29 inch, but, going to 32 meant a huge jump in dot pitch size.

gs

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Check out epinions.com for reviews by actual product owners. Taken with a grain of salt.

And as an aside... a friend of mine works at one of the local giant electronics stores as a PC tech, which is right next to the service/returns desk. He said Sony has had some of the worst product return rates of anything his store (the local Best Buy) offers.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Panasonic, best reputation in Japan

Hi
Panasonic is considered one step above Sony, etc. at least according to my former wife, and family, that live in Japan.

Just better quality products, more inovation, and a smaller company, I believe are the reasons.

Plus, better prices, and much lower return rates.

Panasonic stuff never has to go back, at least according to her, and my experience is similar.

Also check the info on what TV's are capable of, and what kind of combs they use.

Nice to be able to hook up a digital input for quality cd playing, and DVD.

Keep your options open so you can run a home theatre with the tv...

gs

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
As far as flat screens go, for mid price the Toshibas have the best picture quality. For higher priced displays, the Samsungs are the best. You won't be able to find the high-end Samsung displays in Best Buy. You will need to check out a high end electronics store.

Clocker-If you are looking for a lower priced TV, I would recommend that you spend the extra money and go with a flat screen. I bought a Sony 27" flat screen about 6 weeks ago for $530. You can get a 32" JVC flat screen for $800. It is not the best TV in the world, but after you get it home I doubt that you will be able to tell huge differences between that TV and another more expensive model.

If you are extremely worried about your TV breaking, buy one of those ridiculously expensive extended warrantees, so that when the TV breaks you can get it fixed for free.

I would not bother to fix any TV for several years ago, unless it cost over $1000.

-Tim