Beware! It's Groltz's invasion on the front page.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Our Pullayup member just couldn't hold it anymore. Today was the busiest day of my week (busiest outside the Net), so I haven't been on my computer much of the afternoon. What was my surprise when I came back at home around 8:00pm and saw the wave of news awaiting my approval.

Congratulations to Steve and hope everyone will like them. And again, I'm sorry if it took quite some time between the moment you submitted them and the moment I post them. I had to run for a couple of components for a computer I'm supposed to deliver next week...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
When there are 4-5 news submissions at the same arc of time, I suggest you post them, let's say, with importance (your subjective, no problem) priority one every few hours...

If not, too many news go rushing down... afterall, there are days when no more than one news entries are being submitted.

Oh, and I suggest we start thinking what we should consider news worth of being called news and what no...

This isn't going for Groltz, of course, but I believe (for example) we shouldn't submit as news links to reviews, etc...

Opinions?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Moreover, I love it when I see news being submitted with commenting by the submitter. I suggest we put this as a prerequisite for submitting a new. It's interesting to have the 1st comment as the comment of the submitter (which also indirectly explains the reason for being submitted)...

Sorry for my incoherent thinking/writing, it's 4 AM... :crap:

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Prof.Wizard said:
When there are 4-5 news submissions at the same arc of time, I suggest you post them, let's say, with importance (your subjective, no problem) priority one every few hours...

If not, too many news go rushing down... afterall, there are days when no more than one news entries are being submitted.

Oh, and I suggest we start thinking what we should consider news worth of being called news and what no...

This isn't going for Groltz, of course, but I believe (for example) we shouldn't submit as news links to reviews, etc...

Moreover, I love it when I see news being submitted with commenting by the submitter. I suggest we put this as a prerequisite for submitting a new. It's interesting to have the 1st comment as the comment of the submitter (which also indirectly explains the reason for being submitted).

Opinions?

So what are we getting at here? Don't submit more than X amount of articles in a given time frame? Just put up a teaser and don't submit the link to rest of the article? As far as worthiness goes, any news I submit has to be OK'ed by Mr. Cougtek, so the final authority does not rest with me anyway. The statement "From the most irrefutable of information sources, The Inquirer:" was a personal comment from me, but didn't explain why I thought the article should be shared.

Heck....Cougtek, just delete all those submissions. I am a newshound failure on my first day. :crucified:

Groltz

P5-133XL said:
Please no bickering.

Groltz, you did good.

No bickering from me.

That tirade response to PW was all tongue-in-cheek. The one for Cougtek was a response to this, and was also only meant in fun.

It is difficult to interpret the inflection behind words printed on a screen sometimes. I am still trying to figure out what, exactly, "What a lonely feeling that must be." was supposed to imply.

In any case, I certainly haven't tried to hurt or insult anyone here these last several days.

--SK

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I think it was only a comment as regards your lack of attention from the "sarcastic wits" you mentioned. Interestingly enough it was I believe said in sarcasm and intended to be humorous. Go figure... :)

Your news posts were fine Groltz.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Groltz said:
So what are we getting at here? Don't submit more than X amount of articles in a given time frame? Just put up a teaser and don't submit the link to rest of the article? As far as worthiness goes, any news I submit has to be OK'ed by Mr. Cougtek, so the final authority does not rest with me anyway. The statement "From the most irrefutable of information sources, The Inquirer:" was a personal comment from me, but didn't explain why I thought the article should be shared.

Heck....Cougtek, just delete all those submissions. I am a newshound failure on my first day. :crucified:

Steve... why did you get mad?

I wrote that this post wasn't for you... There's no problem about posting 4-5 news at the same time. You did it fine!

I made a moderation suggestion to make the best out of YOUR news submissions. If the moderator/frontpage webmaster posts them altogether YOUR OWN news will be moved too fast further down degrading their importance. I believe all news should stay at least an hour or two as TOP news... it wasn't an attack to you, it was an open suggestion to CougTek and I even asked for opinions...

Oh, and I'm waiting for comments in what we should consider news and what not. AND NEITHER THIS GOES TO YOU GROLTZ, your news were news.
But should links to interesting articles on other sites considered news? IMO no. (and I think I made that error in the past...)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Groltz said:
The statement "From the most irrefutable of information sources, The Inquirer:" was a personal comment from me, but didn't explain why I thought the article should be shared.
I swear I didn't even see that part. Actually, as I said, I was posting at 4 AM, and only having time/strengths to read you TOP news submission.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Damn, when I said articles I meant "reviews"... :oops:

Articles could be press releases as well.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Thanks. I'm glad.
Please, also comment on my above post regarding this "technical" retarding of news... do you find it justified as I do?

Lesson: I'll avoid posting when it's 4 am next time... :roll: Can't make myself clear when tired...

Groltz

Prof.Wizard said:
Thanks. I'm glad.
Please, also comment on my above post regarding this "technical" retarding of news... do you find it justified as I do?

...But should links to interesting articles on other sites considered news? IMO no.

Ok, I see your concern...

For instance, if you go and post 8 or 10 new news items on that page right now, all the stuff I dug up yesterday would get pushed off the page. Prematurely.

The only solution I can see is to alter the page so it allows a more decent amount of news items to be listed upon it. Like this one

Yesterday, I only submitted what I thought would be appreciated by the other guys. I actually had about 8-9 items that I was considering posting but narrowed it down to just what you see there in the end. I guess I could prioritize further and hold back everything not deemable as urgent or very interesting.

Out of the entries I posted, the "Evil Tips and Tricks for the PC" was clearly not news but an article. So for that one I used the "Third party articles" ID tag to label it as such. I thought it was interesting enough to merit being shared here, and so I put up the links for it.

Handruin

Administrator
The news is set to only display the first 10 items, we can increase it, but the page grows even longer. We can also time delay the posting of news. So if you post 5 articles, we can set it so that they display an hour apart automatically, or whatever time span we as a group think is best. That's something Coug or I can adjust and it's not an option for people who submit.

If we need more categories for news, maybe we should write up rules, and/or guidelines for posting news so that we clear up and confusion and make it easier for everyone?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I like to have comments related to the news by the one who submits it, but I would rather not write guidelines. I would rather leave it to the members to post according to their own style.

Posting the news at delayed times could be done. I simply forgot about it when I approved Steve's news.

The Giver

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek said:
I would rather leave it to the members to post according to their own style.
Great! So articles written in the third person are fine huh? Super!