Big PayPal

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Why is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s): We need a little more information from you to help confirm your identity.

Begin a limitation review

Required Response - Please submit each of the following documents.
The name and address on your documentation must correspond with the information registered on your PayPal account. Your documentation cannot be older than 6 months. Send only documents received by mail (online statements cannot be accepted).

Valid Photo ID
  • Driving Licence
  • Passport
  • Birth certificate

Proof of address
  • Utility Bill
  • Government Identification, eg Tax assessment from the Australian Taxation Office (less than 12 months old)

Questions for politically exposed people
Under Australian Anti Money Laundering legislation we need to know if you hold or have held a position of political office, or associated with someone who does or did.

Politically exposed people include:
Current or former senior officials elected or appointed in the executive, legislative, administrative, military or judicial branch of government.
Senior officials of a major foreign political party or senior executives of foreign government-owned commercial enterprise.

You must complete this form if an immediate family member (including spouses, parents, siblings, children or a spouse's parents or siblings) or any individual publicly known to be a close personal or professional associate falls into one of the categories above.

Do you hold a position of public trust or political office?
Are you associated with or related to someone in the public trust or political office? What office does this person hold?

PayPal already has my credit card, address, email and phone number. That's got to be a near-perfect suite of documents for identity theft, I'd have trouble proving the fraud.

I've been registered with PayPal for about 5 years, without me causing them the slightest problem. What would you do?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A lot of people hate and no longer trust paypal. The fact that they essentially operate as a bank and, at least in the USA, are not subject to the same regulatory oversight as one is quite troubling.

I have Paypal but it's not linked to my main bank account but rather a secondary account at a different financial institution.

In your case, it looks like Paypal is simply (or perhaps blaming) this change to your account status on a change in Aussie law. I don't know why they need a photo identification or proof of address above and beyond what they already have, but since they already have credit card numbers and telephone number, I'm not sure that there's any greater harm in compliance, either.

ddrueding

Fixture
I hate Paypal, and refuse to create an account or tie it to a bank account.

Even though resellers say they accept credit card payments through paypal even if you don't have an account, paypal will refuse to process payments from a card after you've put $10k on that card until you create an account and give them your bank info.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You got a notice involving Australian law, Bozo?

IIRC, Paypal has a message center where they put stuff they want you to look at after you log in to their site. It would be pretty easy to check if there's a fraud thing going on.

Handruin

Administrator
I have Paypal but it's not linked to my main bank account but rather a secondary account at a different financial institution.

I do the same thing. I did not want paypal attached to my main account in case of problems and this limits some risk. If paypal requested all the above documentation to continue with them, I would no longer keep my account. That's way too much information compared to what they already have.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You got a notice involving Australian law, Bozo?

IIRC, Paypal has a message center where they put stuff they want you to look at after you log in to their site. It would be pretty easy to check if there's a fraud thing going on.

No, I didn't get the Australian part, but I got the whole bit about my account. I deleted it.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
As far as I can tell, PayPal is simply a system for people to cheat sellers on eBay. It's just that not everyone knows that and bothers to cheat the sellers....

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Why is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s): We need a little more information from you to help confirm your identity.

Begin a limitation review

Required Response - Please submit each of the following documents.
The name and address on your documentation must correspond with the information registered on your PayPal account. Your documentation cannot be older than 6 months. Send only documents received by mail (online statements cannot be accepted).

Valid Photo ID
  • Driving Licence
  • Passport
  • Birth certificate

Proof of address
  • Utility Bill
  • Government Identification, eg Tax assessment from the Australian Taxation Office (less than 12 months old)

Questions for politically exposed people
Under Australian Anti Money Laundering legislation we need to know if you hold or have held a position of political office, or associated with someone who does or did.

Politically exposed people include:
Current or former senior officials elected or appointed in the executive, legislative, administrative, military or judicial branch of government.
Senior officials of a major foreign political party or senior executives of foreign government-owned commercial enterprise.

You must complete this form if an immediate family member (including spouses, parents, siblings, children or a spouse's parents or siblings) or any individual publicly known to be a close personal or professional associate falls into one of the categories above.

Do you hold a position of public trust or political office?
Are you associated with or related to someone in the public trust or political office? What office does this person hold?

PayPal already has my credit card, address, email and phone number. That's got to be a near-perfect suite of documents for identity theft, I'd have trouble proving the fraud.

I've been registered with PayPal for about 5 years, without me causing them the slightest problem. What would you do?

In the US once you've put $5,000 thru an account they want you to confirm your identity (usually via bank account linkage (and confirmation of two verification deposits made by PP). All online. Nothing by mail.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have transferred a LOT of money via paypal and never had to give them any of that crap. I just run a zero balance and am prepared to unlink the bank account at any time. It wouldn't be convenient to change my bank account number though, but still prepared to do it.