Blu-Ray adopting two new codecs

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Sony (and friends) have been pretty aggressive lately in regards to the forthcoming (slash somewhat already here) Blu-ray optical spec/format. The adoption of MS's VC-1 (formerly known as VC-9, but SMPTE apparenty decided on calling it VC-1....whatever) and MPEG-4 AVC High Profile is great news in terms of the video quality that can be made available.

My only reservation about the MS codec is DRM type crap that might be introduced along side it, but I'm unaware of what the situation is...I imagine Pradeep can provide the low down.

It will be interesting to see what affect this will have on the HD-DVD camp.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
FWIW, BluRay is kind of a yucky format IMO. Current readers require a catridge mechanism, and I just can't see that getting very far in consumer adoption.

Also, HDDVD also supports VC9. This is really a "keeping up with the Joneses" issue.

DRM will almost certainly be attached to any future format. There's just no way around it. It's being built into everything related to consumer entertainment, right down to the cables that go between our devices. No only that but a copy protection model will be implemented to replace CSS. I don't know if you guys remember this, but in 1997 it was thought that it would take years to break CSS; only the lucky accident of Xing not encrypting their key gave us a way in.

Finally, both HDDVD and BlueRay still support plain old MPEG-2 in addition to these new codecs. The codec is more-or-less independent of the copy protection/rights management; it'll be just as hard to grab that stream as it will the MPEG4 ones.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Also, HDDVD also supports VC9.
Indeed, and this was what prompted my comment on what the affects on AOD camp might be. IMO, the advanced video codecs were really the only selling point that AOD had in their hand. Of course they are always quick to point out "HD-DVD is cheaper to make and compatable with existing production facitlities blah blah blah", but personally I don't put too much stock in their propoganda. Besides, Sony et al. have been promoting cheap manu processes too.
This is really a "keeping up with the Joneses" issue.
In one sense, yes - the playing field has been leveled. But in another, this move leap frogs Blu-ray above HD-DVD. To me, it seems more like Blu-ray saying "okay AOD, I'll see your codecs and call. I've got 27GB. What you got?"...and personally, I don't think AOD's holding much of anything in their hand anymore, let alone anything on the table that we don't already know about.

BluRay is kind of a yucky format IMO. Current readers require a catridge mechanism, and I just can't see that getting very far in consumer adoption.
Non cartridge Blu-Ray is the game plan. I posted about this before...I'll try to find the link.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
No matter what format the DRM will be on-disc, i.e. no phoning home to a server like the HD version of T2 (WM9) required. It will be robust. The days of ripping a DVD to your HDD for viewage later will be over. It remains to be seen if the HD players will output HD over analog component outputs, or only over a protected DVI/HDMI connection. If the latter, it will annoy a bunch of HDTV early adopters that bought before DVI was even thought of.

Stereodude

Not really a
Uh...

There is no DRM in the MS VC-9 codec. It is only a video codec.

The DRM will be up to the Blue Ray and AOD groups.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Anyone know if/when this optical technology will be utilized for something more generally useful, such as writeable data discs?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Stereodude said:
Uh...

There is no DRM in the MS VC-9 codec. It is only a video codec.
Of course SD, but I believe that you've misread the above comments, as no one has said anything of the different.

Lunar said:
Anyone know if/when this optical technology will be utilized for something more generally useful, such as writeable data discs?
Already available in the corporate market for backups I believe ...very $$ I image.

Jimshady

What is this storage?
Whats wrong with disc caddys? I remember having a CD-ROM that required caddys for CDs, and it was great. Now all I have are a pile of CDs everywhere getting scratched to death. I'm not responsible enough to have BluRay discs without caddys! I said it a long time ago, DVDs need to be stored in caddys, so DVDs from the video store wouldn't be so scratched up!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Welcome Jimshady.

Personally I dislike caddys because it means it's going to be tough to fit a Blu-ray drive or whatever in a laptop. Just get a cheap 300+ disc CD binder and all your worries are over.

Jimshady

What is this storage?
CityK said:
Already available in the corporate market for backups I believe ...very $$ I image.

Pretty expensive backup for the time being! (just for the media alone)