Boot crashes

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm sick of the other computer crashing every 2nd or third time. :mad: XP32 is fine, but XP64 is the culprit. I tested the RAM forever with Mamtest, changed numerous settings, moved drives, RAM, and cards around, etc. Once it boots the system is fine.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Flash the BIOS. If that doesn't fix it, turf the motherboard.

Of course, it could be a 64-bit device driver, or the way that driver is initializing the device. You run some odd-ball stuff, so that's possible.

LunarMist

I can't replace the MB. We established earlier that the OSes cannot be reactivated. It is EP45-UD something.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Lunar, you're an especially frustrating person to try to help, revealing just enough to get us guessing but never the whole story.

Any chance you could lift the veil and actually give us a history, as well as the full details of the PC concerned?

LunarMist

'chkdsk c: /f' on the x64 OS from a command prompt. Less the quotes.

Thanks, but I find nothing wrong with that drive test. I even replaced the drive with another one (magnetic).

LunarMist

Flash the BIOS. If that doesn't fix it, turf the motherboard.

Of course, it could be a 64-bit device driver, or the way that driver is initializing the device. You run some odd-ball stuff, so that's possible.

I have not tried the updated BIOS. When it crashes I sometimes restore the loaded settings. I could try flashing on Monday. It is too dangerous to perform that activity over a weekend.

A driver is possibly a problem, but why would in not fail the same way every time? There are plenty of cryptic warnings in the event logs, but it is always like that.

LunarMist

I tested the drive fully with the mfr. utility and there are no errors.

System has been running for 30 hours now. Obviously I can't keep it on that way all the time.

LunarMist

Lunar, you're an especially frustrating person to try to help, revealing just enough to get us guessing but never the whole story.

Any chance you could lift the veil and actually give us a history, as well as the full details of the PC concerned?

Sorry. :erm: My hand hurts too much to write a long explanation now. I have only two meetings on Friday so there is not much day-to-day rest. :( I'll work on it Saturday.

LunarMist

I have determined that the crash occurs a few hundred ms after the Desktop starts. It is probably some goofy app loading.