Booting from USB Devices = crapshoot

Stereodude

Not really a
So now I've gotten to learn that some USB devices just aren't bootable in some systems. My 1TB Samsung HDD in the Oyen Digital 2.5" USB 2.0 / eSATA enclosure apparently isn't treated as a USB HDD in my Gigabyte LGA775 motherboard in my main desktop. It's not listed in the Hard Drives, and picking USB-HDD = a system lockup after "Verifying DMI Pool Data...". It is listed as a mass storage device ahead of the device listing. It will boot fine if I connect it via eSATA (as expected). The same 2.5" external enclosure works perfectly on 2 of my 3 laptops. The oldest one, a Dell Inspiron 8600 doesn't see it in the boot menu the first time, but shows up after a reset (CTRL+ALT+DELETE) and can be booted from successfully.

I have a 16GB OCZ Rally2 (the $5 BF ones from Newegg) and it won't boot in my Acer 1810T. It shows up there as a USB-FDD, I can pick it to boot I see the syslinux line and then it just sits there. But, it works fine on my two Dell laptops (Inspiron 8600 & E1505). I haven't tried it in my main desktop yet.

I guess the moral of the story is if you plan to boot from a USB device you'd better have more than one with the same tools on 'em and have a CD or DVD as a backup plan. :salut:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
No problems with flash drives, but I've had some with enclosures.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well the 16GB OCZ Rally2 won't boot my desktop either. It and the 2.5" Oyen Digital enclosure will boot my Atom ITX system though.

Like I said... crapshoot... :sunny:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Stupid question, but are you sure the the USB drive partitition is set to active?