Buffer Empty

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
When an external 8x8x24 CD-R/W is limited to the USB 1.1 connection, the fastest speed for perfect burns is 4x. However it will burns data CDs at an average speed of ~6x with JustinLink activated. I verified one of the CDs and there were no CRC errors. Is it OK for the CD burner to constantly have buffer underruns? Will it die prematurely?

P.S. Please don't suggest that the user upgrade her old computer with USB 2.0.

Thank you.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
LunarMist said:
Is it OK for the CD burner to constantly have buffer underruns? Will it die prematurely?

Those are interesting question Lunar. I would suggest searching or asking at CDFreaks or CDRLabs...there are many optical drive knowledgable people there who could probably give a definitive answer.

If I were to hazzard a guess I would say that it might shorten the lifespan a little bit, but I don't think it would be anything appreciable to worry about...i.e. I think you will probably have upgraded your burner before it would have become an issue.

CK

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
It won't hurt the burner, after all it just stops the burn and then resumes from the point it left off when there is enough data. If you have any doubts then limit the burn speed to 4x

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Those types of buffer underruns will create small gaps between the data. This can affect things like audio and trying to read some discs in old players. Or so I've heard.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Oh. If JustinLink works by simply restarting at about the same point, there should be no problemo in underruns. The whole story is that it is an older Pentium 3 600MHz notebook of a relative. I am giving the gift of slim, USB powered external CD-R/W because the notebook has only a CDR. My guess is that it will be seldom used.