Building extra PC, looking for help on a couple components

Bulldog

What is this storage?
Hi,

This is my first Post, so please excuse me if I make a mistake.

I am building an extra PC, which will run W2K.

The question I have is about ASUS MOBO TUVX4. Has anyone used it and what was the result, any problems?

Also looking ATI video cards. The two I am looking at are Xpert 2000 32MB and Radeon 7000 32MB. The price is only $5 more for the Radeon, which I believe is the newer model. Seems like the one to choose, any thought or comments on this would be helpful.

I was looking for PC133 and found that Pricewatch had many sites with 512MB chips for $27. That's right $27, but it comes in many flavors which I did not have to deal with on my existing system which also runs PC133 RAM.
There is Buffered/Unbuffered, Register/Unregistered and ECC (wich I know I will not be using). I sent a request to ASUS, but who knows if or when I will hear back. I believe I want the Unbuffered, NonECC. If anyone has some information on this, I would appreciate learning more about this.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from everyone.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Hi Bulldog,

I haven't used that specific motherboard, but I have had good success with Asus motherboards in the past.

I have a Radeon 7000 in my system right now and it seems to work fairly well for me. I would definately spend the extra $5.

For RAM I only buy from www.crucial.com and have had very good results with their memory in the past two years. I have bought RAM from random sites in the past with horrible results. You just need unbuffered, nonecc, not registered, the cheapest PC133 from Crucial will work just fine.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
1.) You're far better off with the Radeon. Display quality on the newer ones is a bit more even. The Rage128 chipset isn't bad, particularly if you aren't a gamer, and the divers for it are mature and well-refined at this point (non-ATI fans will, at this point, say, finally, five yeara after it was released).

At any rate, even if you aren't a gamer, I see a @D quality improvement between the Rage and the Radeon 7x00 series, so it's worth it.

For the other, I'd suggest you visit the memory selector at crucial.com to see what they suggest. You don't have to buy from them, but they can tell you for sure what works and what doesn't.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
timwhit, you must've just finished your post as I started mine. But seeing as how the content is the same...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Ya, I'm just sitting here waiting for someone to post something. Not doing anything sure gets boring after awhile.

Bulldog

What is this storage?
Glad I could help you there Timwhit,

Thanks for the feedback so quickly.

I am checking out Crucial's site right now.

Bulldog

What is this storage?
Your right, Crucial's site is awesome.
It turns out that the MOBO I have now uses the same PC133 as the TUVX4. Cool!
:lol:

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
My housemate has the TUV4X, it never created any problems as far as I know of. It would certainly be better, as advised by others also, to spend the extra $5 for the Radeon card.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
timwhit said:
Hi Bulldog,
For RAM I only buy from www.crucial.com and have had very good results with their memory in the past two years. I have bought RAM from random sites in the past with horrible results. You just need unbuffered, nonecc, not registered, the cheapest PC133 from Crucial will work just fine.

I used to be the same way, until I used Crucial's memory selector forr my Tyan Tiger MP. They shipped some memory which woudldn't work properly. . They said it wasn't certified to run on the board (at the time), yet their memory selector (online) still recommended their memory. Ug.

Now I always check the motherboad's memory recommendations and go with one of those. But for most boards Crucial works just fine.