Building my own desk - looking to see if there is a software solution

Handruin

Administrator
I have some ideas for making a fold-down desk and I'm looking for a way to plan this out on a computer. Is there a software tool of choice (preferably free) that can aid in sketching some ideas or is pencil and paper the better option?

ddrueding

Fixture
Sketch-up would be the free option. I'm currently designing my own desk using SolidWorks. Mine isn't folding, but it is 11' wide, 20" deep, and cantilevered off the wall only on the ends.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I would personally use pencil and paper to draw up something first but it just depends on what you are more comfortable with. I've done much much more drafting by hand than on computer.

Handruin

Administrator
Nice, thanks for the link, I'm giving it a try now. I'm looking to make a desk that can fold down, but still stand on its own. I'm looking to connect one of the dual monitor tilt/pivot mount brackets to the back part of the desk that won't tilt. That way I don't have to clear off the desk in order to fold it down, I can simply push the monitors back to the wall. I was thinking of making the tilt framing to accept any different type of desk material, but I'm leaning towards using a piece of Cobalt blue Corian material. When the desk folds down, the side legs would swing in to the center. The would be support with a smaller L shaped leg under them to keep the desk from falling over when folder down, yet free up a lot of space.

I'm looking through the SolidWorks demos and their software is pretty sweet. I noticed they don't list prices on their website, but some few quick searches show it to cost around $4K for the standard and $8K for the premium. Where did you get your copy from? :)

Handruin

Administrator
I would personally use pencil and paper to draw up something first but it just depends on what you are more comfortable with. I've done much much more drafting by hand than on computer.

If I can't get Sketch-up to do what I need fairly easily, I'll revert back to pencil and paper. I was just exploring my options for this project and possibly learning a new tool while I was at it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One of the reasons I'm probably not a very handy person is that my father has the kind of brain where he can just go grab pieces of wood, cut them and assemble a finished product without even a hint that there were any plans or diagrams.

We built my loft (a desk under a bunkbed with shelving for a home theater) that way, and much more recently we built the entertainment center for his new home that way. My contribution to this was really more like "Hold this." and "Get me that tool." That's helping, right?

Anyway, here's what I'd say: Ask my dad.