Burning Linux ISO images

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Not rreally sure if this should be in Tech Support or not, sorry if I messed up - but there seems to be a few Linux threads here so...

OK, I've downloaded a Linux ISO (Lycoris - formerly Redmond) and now I need to burn it to CD - preferrably bootable.

My burning software of choice is Nero (5.5) but it doesn't recognise the ISO extension and when I burn the file to CD, all I'm left with is a CD with one file on it (that won't boot). What am I missing? (yeah, yeah, I know a brain would help but...)

Does anybody know how to turn an ISO image into a bootable Linux CD?

cquinn

What is this storage?
What do you mean "doesn't recognize the extension"?

I have version 5.5.4.0, and it (and higher versions) will
recognize and load ISO files when you go to Burn Image
on the file menu. You may have to specifically point Nero to the
ISO file, but once you do it will burn it to CD properly

(just did that last night with the Mandrake 8.2 beta for a friend)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Hi, thanks for the reply.

When I tried to open an image to burn (File | Open), Nero only gave me the choice of it's image files. Selecting the ISO manually (all files) only placed a single ISO file in the left hand pane. Burnt this and ended up with a CD with one file.

Sol

Storage is cool
The thing for burning .ISO files seems to be fireburner (it can be downloaded from Fireburner.com for 30 days free or somthing)
I always thought that Nero could do it too but when I tried it couldn't.
There are ways of converting an ISO to other things but when it comes down to it you need new software for that anyway so you may as well just get somthing that can burn the file rather than muck arround.
As for bootability that depends on what is in the ISO more than anything else. Stupidly the easiest thing would probably be to burn the CD then if it isn't bootable copy all the files to your hard disk and burn another version with the contents of a boot disk tacked on. The mucking arround required to actually check on the contents of the ISO and fix it if required wouldn't be worth the 50c - $1 the disk would cost.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Adaptec EZ CD will make bootable CDs from ISOs no problem. Just double click on the ISO and EZ CD will open ready to burn.

I just made a Redmond CD too. Now to get it installed.

Bozo :D

cquinn

What is this storage?
I'm not sitting in front of the machine that has it loaded right now.

But does your Nero menu not have (File | Burn Image)?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I'll have to check, couldn't do it last night as I went and watched LOTR

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Upgraded to the latest Nero and it worked - 5.5.2.4 was listed as having a bug with some ISO images. Thanks to all

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Doesn't Oz have the equivalent of Cheapbytes.com or Linuxmall? Granted, I don't have broadband connection, but $2 (or $4 in the Aussie kind) seems like a minor price to pay not have have to deal with that sort of thing.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
EverythingLinux is the place. You are right though, it would have been easier and quicker. Hindsight is such a wonderful thing :(

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Obviously, with broadband and properly working burning software you could have a system up and running in two hours.

Let's see Cheapbytes deliver that fast.