Buying XP with "free upgrade coupon for Vista"

Stereodude

Not really a
So, I'm thinking of buying XP Media Center for my new HTPC and I see they're selling it (OEM) for $110 at Newegg.com. I also see that is comes with a upgrade coupon for Vista. What I can't find is what flavor and version of Vista the upgrade coupon is for.

I've read that Vista upgrade discs require you to actually upgrade an OS, you can't just show them a CD, or a CD-Key (not sure if this is true or not). I've also read that OEM versions of Vista are tied to the motherboard that you install on and only retail versions of Vista can be moved from machine to machine (also not sure if this is true).

So, it would seem that the free version of Vista that I would get with my copy of XP Media Center has two points where it can screw me. It could be OEM, an Upgrade disc, or both. Anyone see a page that details the free Vista versions and how they cross to the various versions of XP?

Stereodude

Not really a
Ok, so no Vista for me, and I'll skip the copy of XP Media Center I was going to buy in the process.

Net result: M$ gets less money from me.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm still struggling with that choice myself. I just rebuilt my Media Center PC, but I have yet to load an OS on it. I *need* to spend time with Vista, but I can't stand the thought of putting it on a PC I'll actually use.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Good news from "Daily Tech"

1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.
4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Why would Microsoft make it harder to upgrade, but, then, possible to install the upgrade version *without* proof of a previous version?

I'm going back to licking my Tootsie Pop.