Can any one help me to understand NAS?

ticuvina

What is this storage?
I want to build a network system support for some developers to develop our projects, we are now researching about Network Attached Storage (NAS) and have a little bit knowledge about NAS, I am trying to find NAS docs on the internet but i can not find helpful document, and still don't understand what device i should need for NAS building.
can you sent to me some good links, documents about NAS architecture, NAS application, NAS Server or something like that, and price list of the NAS from your organization?

Many thanks for your reading and replying!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
What kinds of workloads are you expecting to have? NAS could mean anything from a Linksys NSLU2 with a 40GB USB hard disk attached, to something like a Buffalo Tech Terastation (HD-H1.0TGL) to a NetApp Flier.

On the low end, NAS is meant to represent a simplified storage solution for workgroups where the management and licensing costs for a full-blown file server might be too great; most NAS devices essentially run "just enough" of Windows Server or Linux so that attached disk space can be share, apportioned and secured.

On the high end, a NAS primarily exists to simplify administration of networked file storage.

There really isn't much more to it.