Can windows run THREE scsi cards????

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Another thread got me thinking a bit.

I currently have a ATTO dual card in my pc, and a 29xx scsi 2 card for my cdrom drives.

I'm wondering if windows can take one more scsi card, like an uw card, for an external raid box?

I'm asking because whenever I plug in an additional DVD ide player, I get messages that no resources are avaliable, etc.

Comments??

s

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not sure it is more an issue of resources available by the BIOS/motherboard rather than whether or no Windows can handle it. If the resources (IRQs, memory addresses, etc. that you see in Device Manager) are free and the SCSI card is designed to use the available resources it should not be a problem, IMO.

C

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
Santilli said:
...I'm wondering if windows can take one more scsi card, like an uw card, for an external raid box?...

Yes, no problem if you have "modern" hardware that supports ACPI. I have a server (running Win2K Server OS) with a 4-channel MegaRAID host adapter, 3-each AHA-3940 dual channel Ultra-160 SCSI adaptors (that's 6 channels of SCSI) and the Supermicro S2DGU mobo's onboard AHA-2940U2W Ultra2 SCSI channel. Both ATA channels are also being used. With ACPI you can have a *lot* of PCI peripherals and not run out of IRQ resources.

At home, I have a new rig setup for real-time 3D video rendering -- a Supermicro P4SGA with a 2.23 GHz / 533 FSB Pentium IV and 1 GB of PC333 DDR-RAM -- which happens to have 2 ATA-100 channels, 2 ATA-133 channels, and 2 channels of Ultra-160 (AHA-3940) SCSI and a channel of narrow SCSI (AHA-2940U). Of course, this machine is running in ACPI mode.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Wonder why when I first started with the machine it was fine with having DVD,scsi writer, and scsi reader. Later, it said the os had run out of resources, and, even after replacing the DVD, the new one would not function, crashing the machine?

Could I have reached the limits of the mobo resources?

s

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe the BIOS needs to be told that you have a Plug-N-Play OS. Most have a setting for it.

Bozo :D

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Bozo: you called that one.

I have never been able to figure that feature out. Most of my computers have worked fine with the bios setting disabled.

What exactly does it do, and, with 2000 is turning it on ok?

Thanks

gs