Canon pricing in Australia

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Here in Oz, we're accustomed to paying more for high-tech goods than our more advanced cousins in Europe and the USA. But recently I observed an odd disparity in Canon pricing. I'd appreciate any confirmation or enlightenment.

I adjusted these prices to US$ after allowing a small margin for being a backwater:

A200 camera - $189 ($200 from Tiger Direct)
N676U scanner - $93 ($100 from Tiger Direct)
S520 printer - $190 ($130 from Tiger Direct)

How can scanners be cheaper or about the same here while printers are so much more expensive?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Those prices are about what I pay too, Time. S520 = AU$292.80, 676U - AU$147 (both dealer buy ex-tax, one unit). I don't have a price for the camera. Lucky for me that we sell Canon scanners but Epson printers!

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, guys. I couldn't quite believe it myself, so I was hoping someone else could check it. I take it that you haven't found that kind of stark difference with the camera or the scanner?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea, keep a close eye on Canon scanner prices.

I just noticed a 10% drop on a supplier's price list (not Westan).

This doesn't surprise me, because Canon admitted to me a couple of days ago that they are gradually adjusting pricing on a product by product basis. Don't get caught.

BTW, we're planning a complete digital photography bundle to replace people's film cameras and lab processing. The preferred package includes camera, case, rechargeable batteries & fast charger, photo inkjet printer, some photo paper, plus support, for AU$995. And maybe a bigger CF card, but that might just have to remain an option. :(

You can get most of the stuff yourself already, although we expect to get better pricing. However, it took / is taking a fair bit of research and wheeling and dealing, so if you want to be a "dealer" or just pick my brains, drop me an email/PM. I didn't send you one because of your spam snowstorm.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Thanks for the tip. Time. We pretty much only sell the 670U and the 660U, and I doubt that those relatively low-end products will drop too much. Right now I think we have two or maybe three 670Us in stock, which is maybe two weeks' supply. Should be safe enough.

As for the other matter, yes, that could be of interest. Drop me an email.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Just for comparison:

"TigerDirect has a great price on this combo. Includes the Canon A200 2-MegaPixel Digital Camera, Canon S520 Color Bubble Jet Printer, and the slim Canon CanoScan N676U Scanner, all for $300 + shipping."

from bensbargains.net

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah, you can see why gray marketing is so tempting in Australia. :cry:

In Australian pricing, they're virtually throwing in an AU$500 printer. :eek:

All of these products are current top selling items too. It's not as if they're trying to clear unpopular lines. Well, I don't think the printer is as popular in Australia, but that would be due to the subject of this thread. :x