Can't get 100% defrag

Piyono

Storage is cool
I'm trying to defragment my 10.7GB, NTFS, C: partition using OO Defrag and XP's built-in defrag but both programs give up when the drive is about 47% defragmented, leaving me seeing red (literally, lots of red squares).
I've checked and rechecked options but can't find anything that points to the problem.
The partition has about 800MB free.

Any ideas?

Piyono

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Seriously, free up more space. Try for 30% or so if you can. You probably still won't get 100% unfragmented, but you'll get closer.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
Diskeeper, O&O and windows build in defrag have problems defragmenting partitions that have less than 20% free space (they almost do nothing!).

Norton Speed disk can defragment about anything you can throw at it. However, it takes forever and the memory usage of the service keeps getting bigger (you have to reset the service after a few days). However, it defragments drives with less that 10% free no problem (with 1.0% fragmentation).

I have speed disk 2002 for windows NT. It works for NT and 2000 but i'm not sure for XP.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
800 MB free is a bit small. How much system RAM do you have? Can you set up your swap file on another partition with more room, possible 5 GB?

Piyono

Storage is cool
I've got a gig of RAM.
But no matter -- I freed up 3.2 GB of space and OO worked as advertised.
Silly that it requires free space in order to defrag.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Piyono