Can't install Office 365

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I was given Office 365 as a birthday gift by a friend of mine. Unfortunately, when I tried to install it I only got as far as starting to set up a Microsoft account. Microsoft wanted a phone number so they could send a text message to verify my identity. I only have a voice-only VOIP phone through TWC which can't receive text messages. I read about suggestions to set up a phone number in Google Voice and have the texts sent there but that didn't work either. Any other workarounds? And why does Microsoft assume everyone has a mobile phone? I don't have one, don't want one.

Stereodude

Not really a
*cough* Libre Office */cough*

What sort of Microsoft account does it want? The Windows 8/10 account variety can be setup without getting a text message.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
*cough* Libre Office */cough*

What sort of Microsoft account does it want? The Windows 8/10 account variety can be setup without getting a text message.
This kind of account

Yes, I'm aware of Libre Office. My friend has been bugging me to get Office 365 since I started my newest consulting gig last year due to the fact the company deals with tons of Office documents.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
When you type in all the info and click create account it takes you to another page where you hit send code. When I do that, I get the message We cannot send a text message to this number.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Huh. Just set up a new account and it just did verification by email. Entered a MagicJack phone number.

Edit: Now when it needs to send a verification code it gives me a choice between text, voice, or email.

Edit 2: I did use a 'real' email account; not yahoo, hotmail, etc.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My friend set up my MS account using his cell phone. I'm good now. MS Office is installed and working.

You absolutely NEED to go and change the info to stuff you control ASAP. I know several people who can't change their Microsoft account info because some random person set their account up five years ago and now they can't prove they own the account to Microsoft's satisfaction.