Cases with SATA power connectors?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Merc,

I believe Thermaltake has a PSU with SATA. Apparentely Future Shock on SR has one and likes it. I took a look for this model a while back but I didn't see any with native SATA cableling - just a molex-to-SATA adapter. Maybe things have changed/updated.

I have also heard of a few others but nothing comes to mind right now. Maybe Zalman?

CK

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
How about for the less-expensive cases I might actually sell to a customer interested in a $500 - $600 PC? PCP&C and SuperMicro are things I might buy for myself but I don't think I could squeeze them in to the cost of an average build.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
How about for the less-expensive cases I might actually sell to a customer interested in a $500 - $600 PC? PCP&C and SuperMicro are things I might buy for myself but I don't think I could squeeze them in to the cost of an average build.

Buy WD SATA drives since they have both molex and SATA connectors. :mrgrn:

Mercutio

I prefer to sell my customers hardware that stands a good chance of having at least one birthday, Buck.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
We sell the Seagates sometimes, when people particularly ask for SATA. Can't see the point myself: they are lots dearer and offer no discernable practical advantage. And there are disadvantages: if you use the SATA connector for one drive (at least on the board I was playing with the other day), you can't use both PATA controllers. This, for a guy with a DVD and a burner fitting a DVD burner, was a major PITA. In the end, we had to throw away the DVD reader and go with three devices. (I would have swapped out the SATA HDD but 120GB units are in short supply right now and we only had 80GB drives available.)

Mercutio

I'm thinking ahead more than anything else. I don't want my customers to be hating me in 18 months when they upgrade the drive in their PCs because they had to pay $5 extra that you KNOW the local shops will charge for the stupid power converter thingy.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Think you're going to have to wait... somwhow I figured you wanted an enlight or similarly cheap generic "value" case w/ a PSU that had S-ATA power connectors... I haven't seen any available myself...

The stuff that sells on value will probably take a few more months, the stuff that sells on "performance" is just now starting to have them.. the stuff that sells on price might take a year(heh... or whenever Deer/allied starts making s-ata compatible PSUs)...

Your best bet might be to stick to your current case and buy a converter and put it in yourself... atleast on the machines you think will get an upgraded hard drive within the next year or so...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Whoops...I didn't count them. Are them little adapters for the regular molex connector dirt cheap? Whats the big deal about having them out of the box anyway?

The 120mm fan is cool though...

C

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
This Nexus PSU looks nice too. I don't think it's cheap though, plus the page doesn't say how many SATA connectors it has.

Cheers,

Jan