CD Media

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I just can't find the thread, but somewhere a discussion covered the topic of the most reliable or best quality CD-R or CD-RW discs. What was the outcome? I need some for archiving data and running regular backups.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I generally use Fujifilm CD-Rs. They're priced reasonably and all the high-speed ones I've looked at recently have been manufactured by Taiyo Yuden.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
is there anything else besides verbatim in the CD-RW realm?

I'm loving the newest ultra-speed verbatims I bought... i have atleast 50 wites/erases on the 5 pack i bought and they work great. Wish there were more 700MB RWs instead of 650's available though...

cquinn

What is this storage?
Fuji CDs made in Japan are Taiyo Yuden, those made in Taiwan are
CMC magnetics IIRC. The ones made in Japan are highly favored.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
cquinn said:
Fuji CDs made in Japan are Taiyo Yuden, those made in Taiwan are
CMC magnetics IIRC. The ones made in Japan are highly favored.
Can you tell on unopened retail packaging if they were made in Japan?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
blakerwry said:

The big chains usually carry Memorex or Maxell, but very often, they'll be low speed (e.g. 4x) discs.
The people in my office have gotten lots of dud discs from retail packages, too. I don't know if that's a Maxell thing or if we just bought several packages of discs, though.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I switched to TDK CDs years ago and have never had any problems. I avoid the RWs though as they (any brand) seem problematic.

Bozo :mrgrn:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Mercutio said:
blakerwry said:

The big chains usually carry Memorex or Maxell, but very often, they'll be low speed (e.g. 4x) discs.
The people in my office have gotten lots of dud discs from retail packages, too. I don't know if that's a Maxell thing or if we just bought several packages of discs, though.

What I means is that while there are others out there (memorex seemingly the most popular) nothing else is even worth buying compared to verbatim.

Verbatim is synonimous with quality media in my opinion, and they also seem to be the 1st to manage bringing higher speed disks to the shelves everytime a new speed grade comes out.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Verbatim disks are always from Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (the folks who are working on dual layer DVD writables), so quality is good and consistent.

With most other brands, they take disks from other manufacturers and slap their labels on them. Quality varies, and, even if you hunt for the "Made in Japan" label, you can't be sure of what you've got.