Celeron 950 vs PIII Power COnsumption

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hi-

I'm going to upgrade my Father-in-laws BX Board:

http://www.epox.com/html/english/products/motherboard/ep-bx3.htm

I plan on putting a Celeron 950 into this board with a MSI Master Slotket. I think it should work fine although it is not officially supported. The board supports at least a P!!! 800 which has 256kb cache but the Celeron has 128K cache so I assume it will have lower power consumptionheat production.

Think I'll be OK putting that CPU in that board??

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I can set the slotket to tell the mobo the CPU needs to run at a specific voltage but I don't think I'll have to. I believe the BX3 will do 1.7v no problem so I will be leaving it at autodetect.

Thx,
C

BTW: My main concern is related to the PS which I neglected to mention. I'm using a 250W Enlight PS....

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think you'll have a problem, although Slokets are somewhat less than ideal solution. Certainly you won't have a problem as far as your PSU.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Cool. THis slotket worked great with my 133 mhz 1Ghz P3 (in an Abit BF6) so I think it will be OK with the Celeron III 950 (in the Epox)...

C

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You could loose 50 to 100W and still be OK. Celerons are really low power devices. Best thing about Celerons, really: they hardly suck any juice at all by Athlon/P4/Duron standards. And an Enlight 250 will really give you 250W, unlike some of the no-names, that can't put out their rated wattage downhill with a wet sail and a tail-wind.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
The Celeron 950 upgrade in the Epox BX Board went smoothly! The TNT2 is a nice addition too. I am too good to my father-in-law!

C