Cheetah 15.3 or 15.4 for boot drive?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I'm thinking of booting from a single 15k Cheetah, 80 SCA. Anyone have a preference for either cheetah?

s

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I lost track of them a while back. I own three, but two of them are the original Mark 1, and the other I bought from Mutiah, a 36LP, i.e., the Mark II. Since then, I don't knw what they have done. But X15s are like chocolate, it doesn't matter how many you have, there is always room for one more.

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
Santilli said:
...Anyone have a preference for either cheetah?

It doesn't really matter. Otherwise, I believe some benchmarks show the new 15K.4 generation to be marginally slower than the 15K.3. But, then again, 146 GB 15K.3 drives don't exist. Hence: The 15K.4 is a lot more about capacity than a performance bump.

I'd go for a 15K.3, if they are less expensive. And, at this point in time, you might be able to find inexpensive 18 GB 15K.3 factory refurbs.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Too bad you need an 80 pin SCA, Greg.

I just finished clearing the SCSI components out of my home rig this last weekend. Need to sell off a 68pin LVD 18gig Cheetah 15K3, an Adaptec 29160 card, and several Granite Digital cables plus a terminator.

I was planning on putting that stuff in the "For Sale" forum eventually.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just got a great deal on two 146 gig 10K cheetahs, for storage. 209 each, refurb.

Also 3 15.3 36 gig for 85 each.

Should do me for quite awhile.

Groltz: I've actually got an extra 15.3 sitting in a box. Could use the cable, and card, and terminator, and maybe the drive, if the price is right.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Gary:
Using the adaptec 21010S, what's the top transfer rate you've got with it?

I think it maybe the slow spot in my raid. I'll test raiding two of the 320 15.3's to see if I can get over 80 mb/sec, unless you know for sure.

Thanks

s

Handruin

Administrator
Just out of curiosity, what did you end up replacing the SCSI components with, Groltz? Seems as though Santilli is the only one keeping the SCSI flame lit these days. Everyone else is either a closet SCSI fanatic, or they've ditched it for more space in ATA.

I'll probably reconnect my atlas drives once I get around to buying a new SCSI card, but I have to admit, 18GB is getting small these days.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Well Doug, I know this is going to get me a bunch of "BOOs" but I decided to just enable my NF7-S 's SATA ports and threw a 74gig Raptor in there.

I was running out of room with the single 18gig 15K3 and can't see spending the greens on a bigger SCSI drive at this point. If SAS ever takes off, maybe I'll go back to 15K rpm SCSI drives in the future.

--Steve

Handruin

Administrator
I hear ya, I'm not looking to spend any mega cash on small SCSI drives any time soon. I'm hoping SAS doesn't keep the same price tag as current SCSI drives. It probably will, but at least we can attach SATA drives to the same controller until we save up for SAS. :)

Don't worry about the boo's. What Merc fails to realize is that it's not WD drives that fail, it's UPS who drops his package every time they came to deliver. :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Generally speaking, if I partook of satan's leavings, it was from a large retail establishment, since those are basically the only brand that's sold at retail a lot of places.

Best Buy has gotten better, though, and now I can choose from Hitachi or three other sucky brands.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
RAW Conversion

I just from Africa after 2 weeks, shooting only 5047 frames. The slow conversion speed is killing me, about 27 hours for straight 24-bit 16.6 megapixel images. Ugh! I hope the computer does not explode, after 18 hours the CPU is up to 56° C. Why does RAW file conversion have to be so slow; what goes on with the file?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'm still using an original 18GB X15 as my boot drive and my wife's PC has a 36GB Atlas 10K II. I think they make for great boot drives. But really, we just don't need that kind of performance from our storage drives, so I buy ATA for that.

Even the DVR that can record dual HDTV streams is using ATA or S-ATA; for the home user, even the enthusiast, there's no real justification for SCSI storage drives.

Of course, for work it's a different story.

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
Santilli said:
Gary:
Using the adaptec 21010S, what's the top transfer rate you've got with it?

I think it maybe the slow spot in my raid. I'll test raiding two of the 320 15.3's to see if I can get over 80 mb/sec, unless you know for sure.

I've never used an Adaptec 21010S. The last Adaptec RAID I used was the old ARO-1130U2 in workstation setups. The ARO-1130U2 is a zero-slot RAID processor used in various brands of mobos that were based around the i440BX and i440GX chipset. It worked well for what it was during its era.

As for SCSI-based servers, I've continued to use LSI Logic MegaRAID (originally AMI MegaRAID) multi-channel RAID HBAs.