China to build it's own Windows compatible OS?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Also on The Reg today, the UK governent, which got into a lot of hot water over it's previous very obvious pro-Microsoft at any price stance, has now announced some sort of institutionalised preference for open source software. The document is titled: Open Source Software Policy Document and was made available to the public for download ..... in Microsoft Word format!

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
But there is more!
"- UK Government will consider OSS solutions alongside proprietary ones in IT procurements. Contracts will be awarded on a value for money basis.
- UK Government will only use products for interoperability that support open standards and specifications in all future IT developments.
- UK Government will seek to avoid lock-in to proprietary IT products and services.

(Tea checks calender. Nope. Not April 1st. Frowns, scratches ear with foot, decides that it must be a mistake.)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Value for money? So if OSS delivers software with any value at all, does that make it infinitely better than Microsoft's?

Proprietary? There goes all of MS-Office, except maybe Word (.doc files can be made with HTML editors, after all).