Code mod?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
OK, this is a blue-sky idea, but I'm a blue-sky sort of person, so I might as well bring it up. It may well not be practicable to implememt it, but for what it's worth .....

Lately I've become very used to the wiki software editing conventions, which are essentially the same as the ones we use in php-bb, but with the following differences. (To make this easier to type, I'll represent the square brackets with angle ones.)

Italics: use the and or pairs of single quotes. So this:

''Tannin'' gives you this: Tannin

Bold: use the and or triplets of single quotes. So this:

'''Handruin''' gives you this: Handruin

Want bold and italic? Join them up: '''''Mercutio'''' is equivalent to Mercuto and renders as Mercuto . Easy as faling out of a tree.

Hyphen: type a hyphen

n-dash: type two hyphens, like this: -- (You should get an n-dash, HTML #8211: –

m-dash: three hyphens, like this: --- (You should get an m-dash, HTML #8212: —

Sound a bit weird?

Trust me, if Doug can wave his mahgic want and implement this, you guys will never go back to using cumbersome old square bracket stuff.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Too complicated.

*bold*

/italics/

_underlined_

Done. :)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
'''''Mercutio'''' is equivalent to Mercuto and renders as Mercuto

Do we really want something that eats "i"s?

Speaking of which, I'm *with* i....

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The trouble with I's scheme is that you then can't use */ and _ symbols in the ordinary way. You'd forever be getting a surplus * where you actually wanted bold, and unwanted bolding when you least expected it. Plus, it's too complicated and difficult to remember.

The scheme I mentioned is simplicity itself:

Want emphasis? Use two '' signs.
Want strong emphasis? Use three.
Want really strong emphasis? Do both.

Even Tannin can understand it.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Ok, how about re-mapping some keys on your keyboard so that when you press <shift> + <F1> for example, you get a whole "", <shift> + <F2> for "", etc.

Just throwing some ideas out here.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Oh, and besides. I didn't mean for those suggestions to be interpretted by the forum code.

Let the *human* do the interpretting. They're _usually_ good at that sort of thing.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Because, in the course of an ordinary week, I use ... er ... five different computers to visit here, running three different operating systems, two different personlities, three different browsers. Not to mention the other two sites I regularly visit, both of which have different codes to enter, and the HTML coding I also do regularly. Keyboard remapping is not a practical option.

(Besides, I alzo have to try to remember to do the brain remap thing zo az not to upzet readerz here by writing "z"s all the time.)

(And besidez bezides, I am feeling a litle stressed az a side effect of my new food-free diet.)