Common Windows shortcuts.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was just wondering what Windows shortcuts you guys use.

The ones I use a lot are alt-tab, alt-F4, ctrl-enter (in IE so I don't have to type www. & .com), and ctrl-alt-del mainly to bring up task manager.

I know ctrl-shit-esc brings up the task manager but I don't really use it much. I also know ctrl-alt-esc switches windows, but I can't seem to figure out what order it uses.

So did I miss any major ones that might makes things a bit faster?

I also use highlighted tabs and shift-tabs in VB to indent code, but I doubt anyone here cares about that. And of course the standard copy and paste stuff, but that isn't really worth mentioning.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
I use alt+shift+tab (reverse order alt-tab)
shift+tab (backwards movement between fields)
shift+F10 (context menu for those keyboards without one)
shift+delete (really delete a file)
windows+r (run command)
windows+f (find files)
windows+e (explorer)
and I keep hitting windows+i hoping it will launch my internet browser... but it doesn't.
windows+tab (switch between taskbar buttons)
F2 - rename

There is a list on microsoft's support site somewhere....
here

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I use F3 to find files. And I also use ctrl-F to find words in a document quite a bit.

There were a few shortcuts that you listed that I wasn't farmiliar with, I'll see if I can remember them.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
The volume and calculator buttons get a daily workout on my shortcut button enhanced keyboard :)

Besides that, I use the following in the GUI shell:

Alt + F4
Ctrl + F4
Alt + Prt Scrn
Ctrl + Shift + Esc
Windows + R

Any kind of text editing:

Ctrl + A
Ctrl + X, C, V
Ctrl and Shift to modify the arrow and Home/End/Pg Up/Pg Down navigation keys to edit text (rarely use the mouse to navigate or edit text)

Browsing:

Alt + D (enter new URL)
Ctrl + Home/End
Pg Up/Pg Down
Ctrl + N

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The shortcut that I use most often is CTRL+ALT+DEL and then K. This locks out any annoying bartenders and orangutans.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Buck said:
The shortcut that I use most often is CTRL+ALT+DEL and then K. This locks out any annoying bartenders and orangutans.
Try windows-L (at least in XP).

Most of the main ones have been mentioned, although I'd add Shift along with any cursor positioning for selecting text in documents or files in Explorer.

I also prefer the keyboard to the mouse. I think it's a carryover from my WordStar days.

- Fushigi

Handruin

Administrator
timwhit said:
I know ctrl-shit-esc brings up the task manager but I don't really use it much...

That sounds like a complicated shortcut...

Handruin

Administrator
I use the common ones like these often:
CTRL + C
CTRL + V
CTRL + X
CTRL + Z

I also like the windows key + M to minimize everything...very handy.

I use home and end often, F5 and F2. I'll also use CTRL + ESC to open the start menu when some applications are hogging the foreground.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Control-C is for changing the disc in your floppy drive. Everyone knows that. Control-insert is for copying. (Bloody youngsters.)

For me, the text exiting and windows control keys are the prime ones: shift plus arrow or home or end, followed by control-insert, shift-insert or shift-del.

Plus the window management ones: at-f4, control-f4, alt-tab, control-esc, and so on.

Once a CPM and Wordstar man, always a CP/M and Wordstar man.

BTW, is there a Windows equivalent to the PM alt-f7 I use reasonably often? On PM alt-f7 alters the size of the current window - you press that and then use the four arrow keys to resize untill you press enter. I've looked before for the Windows equivalent and never been able to find it. It's really handy if you (e.g.) boot a 1024x768 machine in 640x480 and all the windows are scrolled off the screen, or some fool has been tinkering and set everything to that horrible large-font Pumpkin colour scheme or something..

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I use backspace in IE all the time. All my others have been meantioned.

Tea, If you click on the icon in the far upper left hand corner of the window you will get a menu. This is the same area that you would click to close windows in winders 3.1. (Actually you can still use it) One of the menu options will be size. Frost and serve.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
[Alt][Space], then for size or [M] for move.

To add to the list, [Alt][Enter] brings up properties of a selected object (where supported).

And I don't think I saw anyone mention that [Ctrl][Tab] switches between MDI document windows.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Win-break brings up the System Properties...cool shortcut NRG!!! I use a ton of Photoshop shortcuts---too many to list!!! But my favorite is "[" and "]" to change brush sizes, and "Shift-[" and "Shift-]" to change brush density.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Is there a function key equivalent? Shict-alt f12 or anything like that? It would be relly useful. (But not useful enough to go and bugger up all the workshop keyboards with those poxy get-in-the-road-all-the-time Windows keys, of course.)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Does anyone think that "those poxy get-in-the-road-all-the-time Windows keys" were worth adding to keyboards all over the world?

It won't surprise Tony to learn that I still use a 12 year old Honeywell 101WN keyboard. I conceded some time ago that new keyboards would come with WindBlows keys, but I plan to be buried with my unadulterated 101-key brick.

Apart from us geeks that can amaze normal humans by launching explorer with an unspeakable key + [E], I've never met anyone who uses the god forsaken things in any way.

On the other hand, I've certainly had requests to disable them. I admire people who remove the keytop and superglue the switch in place.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
time said:
Does anyone think that "those poxy get-in-the-road-all-the-time Windows keys" were worth adding to keyboards all over the world?

It won't surprise Tony to learn that I still use a 12 year old Honeywell 101WN keyboard. I conceded some time ago that new keyboards would come with WindBlows keys, but I plan to be buried with my unadulterated 101-key brick.

Apart from us geeks that can amaze normal humans by launching explorer with an unspeakable key + [E], I've never met anyone who uses the god forsaken things in any way.

On the other hand, I've certainly had requests to disable them. I admire people who remove the keytop and superglue the switch in place.
I use the good old IBM clicky keyboards. No Windows key but good, solid tactile and audible feedback. These keyboards weigh about 4 pounds themselves because there's a metal plate running underneath for stability. They just don't break. I've nabbed several from old PS/2s that were being thrown out and have used them on my machine & what I've built for others. I've got one hooked up to the port replicator for my notebook at the office (hmm .. should be heading to work soon).

The Windows button shortcuts may be nice, but I'll take a durable keyboard any day. Most keyboards I see nowadays flex more than a CD jewel case.

- Fushigi

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Honeywell 101WN - that's the one, Time. I have about four of them. I wasn't aware of the model number but you prompted me to turn this one upside down and, sure enough, that's what it is. This particular one, like most of mine, is Osbourne badged, but I understand that they were all actually manufactured by Keytronics. Keytronics and Honeywell had a falling out over licence terms or some such a couple of years ago, which is why Honeywells suddenly became impossible to get but were replaced by identical ones with a Keytronics badge. (I'm talking 104 things now, of course.) Then, about six months later, they seem to have had a reapprochment because that Honeywell badge came back. And finally, about a year ago, or a little less, both brands dissapeared.

We switched to Cherrys for a while - German made and not bad but a fraction too dear and not as nice a feel - then grew dissatisfied with them and bought one each of about ten different brands. To our surprise and delight, easily the best of them was the Samsung "Heavy Duty" model, which is just as nice to use as a Honeywell 104 and half the price too! I think we pay $14 ex for them, or thereabouts. If they had 101 keys and (in consequence) a decent sized spacebar and a little more room, they would be perfect. As our front-line retail keyboard we are very happy with them.

But for ourselves, we use as many of the old Keytronics/Honeywell/Osbourne 101WNs as we can - all or nearly all of our home and office machines have them - and still eagerly trade in old Osbourne 486DX/4-100 systems just to get the keyboards and throw the rest away. But it's rare to see an Osbourne these days, and one by one our 101WNs are failing or falling victim to accidental damage, so I don't have a single spare one anymore. :(

In the workshop, the 101WNs are both too valuable to bash about and too heavy to be convenient. There we use the same keyboard that we sold as standard with all our systems for five or six years, the Chicony 101: a cheapie but quite good (though not good enough to put on our office machines). (And yes, we have moved up-market over the years: we are happy to spend more on keyboards than we used to in those days.) We have about five Chicony 101s, all with Baby AT connectors, plus about the same number saved as spares.

We also need PS/2 connector keyboards. (Sure, we could use those adaptor things, but they are a pain to fiddle about with when you are plugging machines in and out all day. Fine for machines that get plugged in and left for weeks or months, but not for the workshop.) And these - 101 key PS/2s - are much more difficult to find. The best one by far is our tiny little Amstrad one, off a truly horrible little machine called the PC-5386 (or something like that). They were dreadful little boxes about the size of a copy of Time - that's the magazine, not the human - and maybe three inches thick. Every single component except for the hard drive (a 40MB Seagate ST-351A/X in most of them) was non-standard. They had a tiny little custom power supply with a one-inch cooling fan that gave us all an instant ten-years-early preview of FOP-38 noise levels, a custom all-in-one main board, even a custom floppy drive (presumably a notebook part) because the case was too small to take an ordinary desktop 3.5 inch drive. ($270 ex tax for the replacement part, if you ever needed one!) From memory there were two CPUs to choose from, a 386SX-25 or a 286-16. They came with DOS 5.0 and Windos 3.1. The dinky PS/2 mouse was horrid, and like the keyboard it plugged into the bottom of the machine (you had to turn it upside-down) because there was no room on the back casing for PS/2 connectors. And the SVGA monitor was a really swoopy-looking pure white space-age streamlined thing that had very little room left inside it (in order to achieve the racy Coke-bottle shape) and got very, very hot as a result. They used to fail regularly - which was probably a good thing, as they had a 0.39 dot pitch. (No misprint - that's zero point three nine. Yuk!)

But the keyboards were magnificent. Very small, no wasted space at all, no useless Windows keys (this was about 1991 or '92, remember), and an excellent feel. WTF was that keyboard doing on that Amstrad vomit box? Anyway, we have had one of them for six years or so and treasure it. We scored another a few months back but don't use it as much. I can't remember why, it must have something wrong with it, sticky keys or something.

We also have two terrible looking Olivetti PS/2 keyboards which are in that distinctive Olivetti mid grey/brown and have square keys - as in not rounded - the keys have sharp corners and a very short travel. Oddly enough, the feel is quite good and we use them a lot, even though one has several of the numpad keys missing. For some reason best known to the now thankfully defunct Olivetti, they have some electronic quirks. Some motherboards just won't boot if you use the Olivetti keyboards - notably anything with an AMD 751 chipset, but there are several others too. But they work with 95% of boards. And then there are the dregs: the heavy Dell with the broken space-bar springs (must see if I can fix it one day, rather than just putting up with it and hitting the space bar exactly in the middle if we happen to have six or seven machines going all at once and they are all PS/2 types) or else throw it away and break out something nicer (a new 104 would be better - stupid Windows keys notwithstanding), the Keytronics 104 with the missing "G" key, the Chicony 101 that does everything except Page-up.....

Anyone know of a box of Amstrad mini-keyboards still floating round? Better yet, a dozen Honeywell 101s.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
No honeywells, just Northgate OmniKey Ulta's here (I have about a half dozen): By far my favorite keyboard and horribly expensive to replace as far as keyboards go. They are very similar to the heavy clicky IBM's with better function key layouts. I also never use the Windows key - I've never personally owned a keyboard with a windows key.

James

Storage is cool
Ctrl-PrtSc and Alt-PrtSc are useful for emergency screen captures.

I do use Ctrl-Esc (and then the arrow keys) a reasonable amount, and of course Win-E is really truly useful.

Do you guys use the Powertoy enhancement for Alt-Tab in WinXP?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Do you get your Samsung keyboards through Westan, Tea? Our local branch only has Mitsubishi.

I think the history is that Honeywell sold off their keyboard division to KeyTronic. They continued to supply keyboards to Honeywell for some time, and even longer with Honeywell Australia (perhaps because we've always had trouble here getting decent keyboards). However, towards the end Honeywell Australia was putting their name on all sorts of rubbish. Their 'high-end' keyboard was actually one of the cheapest from KeyTronic, and god knows who made the 'low end' versions such as 'SpaceMate'.

To put the decline of civilization in perspective, most keyboards now are rated at 10 million keystrokes. Better or heavy duty ones are 20 million. The last genuine Keytronic keyboards we sold four years ago were rated at 30 million keystrokes. But the legendary 101WN was always rated at 100 million keystrokes! Like the IBMs, they take a lot of killing.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No Time, from Comnet in West Melbourne. So far as I know, Westan don't carry them, only the Mitsubushis, which are (in my opinion) nothing special at all. Unless they have improved this last year or so, of course. They used to be very ordinary.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I like the Logitech keyboards more than anything. They aren't too expensive, I just ordered one for somebody for less than $12. They seem to hold up well too.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
The last set of Logitechs I tried felt quite light and I daresay a little flimsy to me. Not that I didn't like the light feel, but they certainly don't give you a feeling of sturdiness.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I have a Logitech Cordless keyboard and mouse. It's definitely not as sturdy as my IBM corded keyboard, but the lack of cords sure is nice. Works great with my KVM switch. Two taps of the CTRL key and I'm on my other system....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd love to get my hands on a Honeywell keyboard. More because it's one of the best companies I've worked for than the quality of the keyboard itself. time is right, though, that Honeywell's input device business was ultimately sold to Keytronic. This happened many moons ago - I remember it being on Honeywell's web site in '95 or so. It's been a while.
I really like Mitsumi's generic keyboards, and Dell Quietkey keyboards. I'm still trying to find a good USB model though.