Community off-topic

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Just wondering if we need the two sections in the forum listing: "community" and "off-topic". Ideally I'd like to see a reduction in the number of fora, but I can't see which one would go - they all have their place. But it would be nice to see the entire lot of them, so as to be able to tell which ones have new posts and who is online at a glance. At present I have to scroll.

Worth doing?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The main height reducing steps that could be done to improve the experience of our low definition members would be to slim down the forum header. There's a lot of blank and unused space up there that could be cut-off.

Other possible things that could be done would be to merge the Tech Support forum and the Computer forum together, just like it has been done at SR. Erasing the Community and Off-Topic categories too, since it seems obvious to me and to all of you I'm sure that if you're browsing the forum, you are part of the Community somehow. Feedback, For Sale, Pub & Brewery needs to stay as they are all essential IMO.

What doesn't help you Tony is that you are member of two additional and otherwise hidden forums. This, of course, clusters your screen more than most. However, it's part of the small sacrifices you have to live with to benefit from your many priviledges. Realize though that it wouldn't be fare to modify too much the shape of the forum simply to accomodate the viewing experience of the most priviledged members. I'm not against a face-lift, but I'm against an over-simplification of the forum.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd rather leave things the way they are. I like the distinctions between the forums. They're obvious and reasonable.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm happy either way. The entire forum fits on my screen so it doesn't bother me. I realize most people don't use 1280x1024 for every day use, but I'm so used to it I forget that any other resolution exists. :wink:

Coug, are you talking about the very top where the logo is? You want me to try reducing the height of everything up there to bring it down some?

If everyone wants a re-org, let me know and I'll make the changes. I don't have much to add in the way of changing it. My only thought is to reduce the font size, or some of the table widths/heights. I think the tech support is dead largely due to the lack of members.

I've seen a few new members pop up in the last couple days. I can't tell if they are existing members with new screen names or not. If they are not, does anyone know where they came from? I'm curious where the reader base is, or if there is a link from someone's site drawing in people.

Handruin

Administrator
Take a peek at this theme for phpBB2. It uses smaller icons and fonts and may fit on your screen easier:

http://beta.storageforum.net/phpgold/

the logo can be changed along with other items in order to make it look nicer. Let me know if this would work.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't care if the header remains like it currently is or if it passes through a slimming cure. I suggested to modify it only to please our low definition members.

I use either 1024x768 or 1280x960 so I don't have too many problems viewing the forum as it currently is.