Computer eating software

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks to all here, my SO now has a nice Athlon 3000+. I've taken the
long lived, Dell P2 400 mhz, and, I've kept it around, trying to figure out, what I sort of know already, that the software she is using made her computer so slow, it was no longer useable.

I looked at task manager, and her computer was running 57 processes.

Mine is usually around 30-35. So, I got rid of Weatherbug, RealPlayer, installed auto by AOL, and, as I went through, I found three versions of AOL, all still on the computer. I guess it keeps it's own bloat. It also explained why the harddrive didn't seem up to capacity, and, I hadn't searched hard enough
to determine the problem.

Now it's down to 26 processes, and it's running just fine, with what seems like a proper amount of hard drive space avaliable.

I can't help but think they sort of take over your computer, and make you use their software, and, sort of like a worm, it excludes, or makes it impossible, for other programs to function. Scary stuff.

GS

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Indeed. Yet, to some extent, I expect woes with AOL -- they have been a plague on computers for many years. However, I have recently found that same sort of intertwined mess with Quickbooks. :(