problem Computers blocked from Local Network.

mangyDOG

Learning Storage Performance
Hi All,

I have a strange network issues with one of my clients.

Their network consists of 100+ computers & printers with another 40 or so wirelessly connected notebooks and mobile devices.

The network is managed by a Netgear UTM150 router (DHCP and DNS) and wireless is by a Ubiquity Unifi system with six APs. There are three main switches, one Netgear 48port and two netgear 24port gigabit units.

Up until last Friday, everything has been working very reliably.

On Monday all the PCs are turned back on after the weekend, but two of them (a PC on a LAN connection and a notebook on a WLAN connection) are not assigned an IP address.

I have tested both units on my network and they work fine. All other devices on the network are OK.

I have rebooted the UTM150 and the switches an still no joy.

I put a different network card in the PC and it connects correctly if I use that card. If I go back to the original LAN port (built in Intel v217) it's activity lights and the switch both indicate the connection is good but it still does not get an IP address.

If I manually assign an IP address it is not able to ping the network.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try next?

regards,
mangyDOG.

ddrueding

Fixture
My first check would be that you haven't used all your DHCP pool. Next would be to assign an available IP from the pool to the device and see if it can ping the router. After that would be to take the wireless device and hard wire it (different MAC, different IP) and see if it still misbehaves. If you can take the network down, take the PC that can't ping anything and wire it directly to the router and see what happens.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Do those machines not get addresses at all (i.e. APIPA 169.254.whatever addresses) or are they being given something incompatible with your network? They work elsewhere, but just for giggles you might also want to do a full reset of IE settings just in case somebody has configured a proxy server address or something weird like that. Do those machines always get the same weird address?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I put a different network card in the PC and it connects correctly if I use that card. If I go back to the original LAN port (built in Intel v217) it's activity lights and the switch both indicate the connection is good but it still does not get an IP address.

If I manually assign an IP address it is not able to ping the network.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try next?

regards,
mangyDOG.

Does another workstation work when attached to this ones lan switch port? Do the devices work when bored off of a live CD?