"Computers" forum "new posts" icon sticky

ddrueding

Fixture
This might be a browser issue, or something else me-related, but I can't tell.

After reading all the posts in the computers forum and returning to the main page, it still shows the orange "new posts" icon until I go back into the forum, see that there are no new posts, and go back to the main page.

Thoughts?

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't seen that yet with vbulletin. Has it always done this to you? It will show new threads if there are posts in the sub forums, but you indicated that you read (or marked them all) as read.

Another small trick (not a fix per se) is if you want to mark them all as read, double click on the orange icon on the main forum listing page. AJAX will tell the forum to mark everything as read so you don't actually have to click in the forums again and wait for it to load.

Otherwise, which web browser are you using? It seems like a cookie/caching thing, but I haven't seen it here so I'll have to get more details to figure it out.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm using the latest Firefox. I know about the sub-forum thing, but it seems odd that it only affects the computers forum and not the others. No big deal, especially if it isn't affecting anyone else.

Didn't know about the double-click thing...thanks ;)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It happens to me too. I think it has something to do with the sub-forums that live under the Computer forum.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have had this happen too. Ever since the server reinstall a couple of weeks ago.
I am using IE7

Bozo :joker:

Handruin

Administrator
I have had this happen too. Ever since the server reinstall a couple of weeks ago.
I am using IE7

Bozo :joker:

Hmm...maybe a cookie thing in your cache? I could try changing the cookie name on the server which might clear things up.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
It happens to me occasionally. I believe it's a timing issue; I click on a link, and right about that time, somebody submits a post to that thread. The system thinks there's a new post and turns the flag on, but you've already read the new post. It's so infrequent for me that it's not an issue.