Conflicting North bridge information, what do you guys think

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I have a mobo here that originally stated it was using a kt266 northbridge during POST. After a BIOS update it now states kt266A.... the manufacturer also states that the board is made with a kt266a northbridge....

I was curious, so I ripped up the heatsink to uncover... the kt266... not the kt266a.... what is going on here?

Is it possible that the mobo company reprogrammed all the things neccesary to get a kt266 to act like a 266a?

Did they just make a mistake?

Or are they passing off a lesser product as something better?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
well i know its a 266, i ripped the dang heatsink off....

But I would like to know what you guys think about shuttle now saying that it is based off of a kt266a when it is really manufactured with a kt266. And they are doing this without changing mobo revisions or anything...

Note that the 266 was an under performer... if VIA hadn't invented the 266a we would all be using AMD and SiS chipsets.

without the time to look up the specs at the moment, I believe there is approx. 10% performance difference in most benchmarks that stress the CPU and RAM.... that's about the same diff as going fomr SDR to DDR RAM.... or going from an AthlonXP 1800 to a 2000...