Contact synchronization

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I need a Plan B. Specifically, a service to automatically sync contacts between smartphones and desktop email clients (preferably Thunderbird, ideally Outlook as well).

It can be one-way, eg. desktop is always the master, but I need it to work with both iPhones and Androids.

All suggestions welcome, especially ribald ones.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Did you want direct phone -> mail client sync, or is it okay to use a 3rd party as a conduit?

Also what OS for the desktop? Windows only? Windows/Linux mix?

For Android based phones, use GMail as a conduit and use the "Google Contacts" plugin for Thunderbird or "Google Apps Sync for Outlook" - https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync

On the phone, just use their GMail account as the primary google account, and you should have no problems. This will work both ways. The Thunderbird plugin works in Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris, so no issues with OS compatibility issues there.

For iPhone - no idea.

PS. Did you need to worry about Blackberry or Windows Mobile 7 (or other Windows Mobile/Phone/PocketPC version).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I forgot the most important part: no Gmail.

More accurately, I'm looking to add contact sync to a non-Gmail IMAP service. That is, if a user adds a contact in Thunderbird or Outlook, it should automatically be available on their smartphone when they're out and about.

I realize that Exchange would do it, but surely, in 2011, there is an alternative to do such a simple thing?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's a big list of Android-based tools for direct sync with Outlook at SyncDroid.net. Most of them are paid apps. A few are free.

MyFunambol is a client-server tool that uses SyncML to move stuff between lots of platforms, including iThings, Android and desktop Windows.

Those might be things to investigate.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I initially skipped Funambol because I thought you had to run your own server, but it looks like you can use the MyFunambol portal.

There's supposed to be a community-supported plugin for Thunderbird, but when I looked closer, it hasn't worked since Thunderbird 3 was released and the last update was in 2009 ...

That's the sort of thing I'm after though, so thanks.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
At this stage I'd settle for individuals maintaining their own. That's a big enough challenge, apparently.