Corned Beef

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
Here are a few interesting, unusual, and useful morsels of information for this edition of the Royal Corned Beef Breviaire:

One of the most absurd things I've ever heard in years...
Thinking about putting some deliberate *silence* into your song??? Well, you better get ready to pay up for that privledge!

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/23/uk.silence/index.html

NASA plans to read minds to stop terrorism:
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20020817-704732.htm

Vacuum cleaning was never this easy!
http://www.irobot.com/home/default.asp

Onomatopoeic

By the way, corned beef is pretty weird all by itself.

:evil: WHERE THE HELL IS THE CORN??? :evil:

The Grammar Police

The silence thing is just beautiful, Platform. A wonderful link.

I have long maintained that musical composition is like great cooking: it ain't the bits you put in, it's the stuff you leave out. Here, for example, is the secret to the success of composers as diverses as Mozart and Lennon/McCartny: they put in all the things that ought to be there, and leave everything else out.

However, it seems that the lawyers were not true musicians, for they did not appreciate the critical role of the rest*. If they had realised that it is the notes you leave out that are most important, then they could have pointed out to the court that Mr Batt left out different notes.

* (For the non-musicians, just in case. You write a mark called a "rest" on the score to indicate that the instrument should make no sound for a given length of time.)

iGary

The Grammar Police said:
The silence thing is just beautiful...

I saw John Cage once in performance many years ago, maybe 1989. He died only a couple of years later. Even though I was expecting him to do so, he and the ensemble didn't perform his infamous 4'33" piece (measure after measure of quarter rests).

iGary

Groltz said:
I'm still waiting for "More Pictures of My Navel"...remember that one?

Faintly. Was that here or at... erm... SR?

I might've been besotted state due to excessive pints of heavy dark ale. :erm:

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
iGary said:
Groltz said:
I'm still waiting for "More Pictures of My Navel"...remember that one?

Faintly. Was that here or at... erm... SR?

I might've been besotted state due to excessive pints of heavy dark ale. :erm:

2 years ago at least. In a SR thread that was debating OT posts (before they had an OT forum). Just thought I would see if you remembered. :wink:

iGary

I might've been IN A besotted state due to excessive pints of heavy dark ale.

...like I am now, apparently.

• byeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCH ! :beer:

The Giver

Thanks for NASA link. Just think what a better world we would all live in if every new husband was issued a mind monitoring device for his new wife to wear.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Giver, did you bring me back the results I asked you for UD?
(I have a good memory... :p )

The Giver

Wait... why did I agree to do that Prof? Unlike you I don't have a good memory. :(

The reason I haven't "folded" I do recall. I have a dual Xeon PC which sucks big time with folding at home.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
The Giver said:
Wait... why did I agree to do that Prof? Unlike you I don't have a good memory. :(

The reason I haven't "folded" I do recall. I have a dual Xeon PC which sucks big time with folding at home.

Every little bit helps!

GIANT

More silly stuff for this edition of the Majestic Corned Beef Tribune:

Man of thousands of sounds!
http://www.michaelwinslow.com/mw_audio.htm

Does anyone need a ride into town?
http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/sky-e/index.html

ABSURD THOUGHT OF THE DAY:
  • [list:f0ed910cfc] [list:f0ed910cfc] [list:f0ed910cfc] Hello, this is Doug Handruin, administrator for Storage Forum. I have a very important announcement to make concerning the mission and purpose of Storage Forum.

I know we have all had a lot of fun over the past year here at Storage Forum, and I hope that each and every one of you will continue to visit regularly. The forums have been running great and I only anticipate continued smooth sailing ahead for us all in 2003!

Me and 24 other graduate students here at the University have written what is likely the most sophisticated artificial intelligence program in the world. This AI program is called "RANDY." I can't tell you what the acronym R.A.N.D.Y. stands for, because if I did, I would be required by law to kill you. Anyway, Storage Forum is essentially a testbed for RANDY to use at will. Storage Forum is the primary vehicle for RANDY to communicate with the real world. RANDY has created many of the seemingly-real personalities here in Storage Forum -- complete with spelling errors, poor grammar, ambiguous thought, and bad advice -- in an effort to attract real-world forum members for study.

So, I hope that the 4 of you real-world people who have somehow managed to come across Storage Forum during the past year will stay and not be offended by RANDY's occasional antics in its attempt to study humanity.

,THANKS!
[/list:u:f0ed910cfc] [/list:u:f0ed910cfc] [/list:u:f0ed910cfc]

Ekaf-Ami

What is this storage?
Is time for good members to be upstanding and tell truth. Who are being the other three real persons on this esteemed organisation, please?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you have an older pan with a worn teflon coating, I'm almost positive you'll find bits of the pan in pancakes.

Ekaf-Ami

What is this storage?
Ahh, yes. Is being the reason for the famous little black cruchy bits wherin is most flavoursome part.

Explorer

One for the Laptops Made Famous series...

• Kevin Mitnick's Seattle Laptop Seized by FBI

This is the Toshiba Satellite 4400SX, 486SX25 laptop computer seized by the Secret Service and Seattle Police Department on October 28, 1994, in Seattle, WA. The laptop was seized during a raid of Kevin Mitnick's, world's most celebrated computer hacker, (aka Brian Merrill's) apartment. The laptop is a 486SX25 with a color LCD, power adapter and documentation in FBI evidence bags. The laptop has been signed on the bottom by Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple Computer. It is also signed by Mitnick himself, and was autographed on air by Wozniak and by Mitnick. The system was shown on the September 27, 2002 episode of The Screen Savers on TechTV. A tape of the show will also be included.
    This is one of the two laptops allegedly used to hack into networks of major corporations, such as Nokia, Motorola and Pacific Bell's top secret telephone monitoring system known as SAS. A letter of authenticity shall be provided with the unit. Pictures can be viewed at Free Kevin. A copy of the FBI inventory list will be included, showing the laptop's serial number.

This item is listed by Kevin's girlfriend. All inquiries should be addressed to her. The proceeds from the auctions are going towards legal debts incurred by Mitnick during his federal case and his recent FCC hearing to determine if he would be granted renewal of his Amateur Radio License.

There are several other items being auctioned by Kevin, Click on the link above to "view seller's other items" to view them.

ATTENTION BIDDERS: We have received numerous bids that have had to be cancelled, because we believe them to be fraudulent. If you are bidding on this item, and you have less than a yellow star rating with eBay and 10 positive comments about your purchasing, your bid will be cancelled automatically unless you e-mail me immediately with your contact information and intended means of purchase. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3400417208&category=31560