Credit cards with good rewards

Handruin

Administrator
Are there any specific types of credit cards you guys are in favor of that offer decent kinds of rewards on purchases? I'm mostly interested in a card that offers a cash back incentive, but what I would like to avoid is a shady bank...and also one that doesn't annoy the crap out of me with phone calls and crap I don't want/need. I'd also like to avoid annual fees. Does anyone use or have the Amazon rewards card? Any thoughts regarding it?

ddrueding

Fixture
The only card beyond my bank's debit is an AMEX. Their protections/services have saved my ass countless times (once literally, in Nepal).

Handruin

Administrator
I feel like AMEX is good for traveling. I have a corporate card, but I've run into several places that don't accept AMEX. The times I've traveled far have been with the AMEX card, however I don't travel that much to warrant the benefits of one.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
try Looking at Discover as one that give cash back. At least they advertise on TV about that particular feature.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Amex is either refused or attracts a surcharge from many small businesses here. The usual pattern is that Amex seriously screws them over on some transaction, then they refuse it. Larger businesses are more relaxed (i.e. got a better deal).

Amex expects a very high customer churn and spends far more than any other CC provider recruiting new victims. They may well provide better 'extras', but you need to go in with your eyes wide open and a fair bit of looking over your shoulder.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Amex Blue Cash - it had the highest % cash back for a while. It was an annual cash back but they've changed it to an accrual and you request thing. I've earned about $600 each year the two years I've had it. My other card is a Chase Freedom. But I may switch that to one that goes toward my mortgage. You have to have something other than Amex for the places that don't accept it (I'm glaring at you Giant).

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The processing fees to merchants are higher for Discovercard than for MC/Visa. So the merchant needs an incentive to offer sales with DC. That incentive used to be that customers preferred using DC due to the cash back. AMEX used to charge still higher fees with the incentive that you could expect a more exclusive clientele and IIRC higher credit limit and world wide service. At the time there was no fee-less AMEX card. I think AMEX still has some prestige in the US but apparently not elsewhere. As the markets have opened up so has the competition.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My vote is AMEX

The protection is excellent, several times now they have refunded me the purchase price on old video cards that died in warranty but the company went under. Consumer protection is about first rate.

AMEX Clear card: this type of account has a due date but no penalty for not paying on time at all. You simply get interest tacked on. No rate raise, no credit report entry, no fee for not paying on time because you forgot.

Clear account rewards arent great, every $2500 charged gets you a $25 prepaid credit card in the mail. No points system or approved vendor BS though.

AMEX is required for Costco.

One more thing, small merchants will hate you because the merchant fees on Amex are higher.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
There is a website that I have used in the past for this very purpose but I can't remember it's name. It had more than 50 cards in a nice table with all the important information easy to find. that's how I found the AMEX with 0% interest on balance transfers for life. Those days are long gone though.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Oh and Amex never bothers me with mail. But Bank of America and Chase send me mail like once or twice a month. Either an offer for a different card or checks they want me to use or balance transfer offers or sign up for the 5% cash back offer that is worse than the one I have now.

But amex still uses just 8 character passwords.
Their website is great and integration with mint is good too.

I shouldn't say never, I think they offered me their higher limit card with an annual fee a while ago.

Stereodude

Not really a
Amex is either refused or attracts a surcharge from many small businesses here. The usual pattern is that Amex seriously screws them over on some transaction, then they refuse it. Larger businesses are more relaxed (i.e. got a better deal).

Amex expects a very high customer churn and spends far more than any other CC provider recruiting new victims. They may well provide better 'extras', but you need to go in with your eyes wide open and a fair bit of looking over your shoulder.
I've found that the vast majority of places I deal with take AmEx. It's very rare to find someplace that doesn't. Even when I've traveled internationally (Asia and Europe) it's been accepted pretty much everywhere.

The Costco AmEx has:
1% back on all purchases
2% back on travel
3% back on restaurant / gasoline

The rebate comes in the form of voucher you can cash at Costco or apply toward a purchase. There is no annual fee (it's tied to your Costco membership). I like it...

Stereodude

Not really a
I almost exclusively us my debit card now and the processing fee is lower for debit cards.
And how does that benefit you? I'm paying the same price regardless of how I pay the store, so I'm going to use the payment method that has the biggest advantage for me.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It benefits me in that It keeps the complexity of my finances to a minimum. The reward would need to worth the hassle.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Amex is not very good in most countries other than in NA. Maybe you can stay at a major hotel, but you end up carrying a lot of cash.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I think it would be more accurate to say AmEx is the only credit card they accept. They do take checks, cash, and debit cards.

I forgot about check and cash but I don't think they do debit cards via visa like most debit cards are.

I haven't had problems with Amex in other countries at all.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Did not know that but you'll never catch me using a fake credit card (debit). Just too dangerous.