D-Link DI-604 Experiences ?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I just ordered a DI-604 to replace my SMC 7004ABR. The SMC worked fine but I needed a router that uses a little less space and the fact that the D-Link doesn't have the print-server makes it a bit smaller. I no longer need the print server 'cause I just got a brand new network (NIC) kit for my NEC Superscript 870 for $12.50.

Anyone using this router? Any problems or anything? What do you think of it? I've read some good reviews on it and have good experiences with D-Link routers in the past.

There are two versions of the DI-604. I think the difference is only cosmetic. I will have the one pictured below:

dlink_di604.jpg

Thanks!

Clocker

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
No particular experience with that model, but I have had good success with the DI-614+ model, which is the 22Mbps wireless version. I usually end up connecting systems through wireless and hard-wired connections.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I have a DI-704, and I haven't had any problems with it. The one time I thought I did, it turned out to be my ISP. However, I've heard their support is somewhat lacking.

Steve

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I got a DI-604 for my sister during the summer.

It seems fine. It came with a decent manual, which I understand is something of a novelty.

The only problem I recall is that is has a hard time keeping the time of day correctly. It jumps around a lot ... often to the tune of several years. Which is a bit ironic, given that it obsessively tries to contact NTP time servers once each hour. On a few rare occasions the logs would show legitimate return-packets as having been accidentally blocked, but without the logs to tell me it happened, I wouldn't have noticed.

No other issues though that I ran into while I was there.

I guess having had an OpenBSD firewall for about 2 years now, everything else seems kind of bland and, "just ok".

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Oh yeah ... one other trivial thing. It runs kind of warm. (I hesitate to say hot ... define "hot" for me will someone?).

Given that the only place for it was on the carpeted floor next to the desk, I decided to be overly cautious. I went to the local Home Depot and bought a 12" square ceramic floor tile (the tile's color goes well with the color of the carpet to make my sister happy) for a dollar or two. The 604 now sits on that ... so I don't care if the thing catches fire or melts.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I have heard the 6xx series was not as good as the 7xx series... specifically 604 vs 704... this was at the 604's realease...

As with most products, the 604 just needed to mature, I hear with newer firmware it works quite well.

I have had the DI-704 for ~2 years and it works great.. it turned out to be cheaper and better than the competition from linksys, netgear or SMC.

A friend of mine also has a 704, works well for him too. I use DHCP cable internet through Road Runner/Time warner, he uses PPPOE cable internet through SBC global.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
No experience with the 604 but....704 has worked like a charm. I bought it from Clippy about a year ago, and it has been so easy to use. Support seems pretty good...I upgraded the firmware about a month ago and gained some decent new capabilites (eg. DMZ, VPN features). Very easy to configure, very easy to change settings via browser front end.