D-Link DI-604 VPN Woes

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I got my new D-Link router today. It is cheap but it looks nice and fits nicely in the spot I have available for it.

Problem is....I can't VPN into work through the router. It just won't connect. I had no problem connecting through my SMC 7004ABR (no tweaks required at all).

The VPN Client I'm using is the latest and greatest version of the Nortel Contivity Extranet client.

Any ideas as to what I need to do to get it to allow me to VPN into work? The VPN connection works fine if I go straight through my cable modem avoiding the D-Link router. As I stated before, the SMC router was no problem. Any ideas that might help me trouble-shoot?

Thanks,
C

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I assume you're using the latest firmware clocker? Like I said, I remember hearing alot about problems with the 1st few releases of the 604's firmware.

The 2.03 firmware is reported to fix a problem with VPN connections being dropped during WAN DHCP renewal.
not exactly what you're looking for... but close.

ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/Gateway/di604/Firmware/

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks but I have the latest firmware already. I have also opened port 500 as indicated on the D-Link website.

Any other ideas?

C

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I'll be gathering a little experience in this area myself soon enough, Clocker. But at present have none. I trust that you are learning lots so that you will be able to assist me when the time comes!

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck-
Thanks for your feedback. I have done both of those things but no luck.

I've found on the 'Net that I might need to change my MTU settings? Weird. I guess I'll try to find the correct setting to use.

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I fixed the problem. I'm giving the D-Link to my father-in-law for use with his cable modem. Pffft to D-Link!!!

I got a Linksys BEFSX41 for myself. VPN connection works like a charm now.
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=433

I don't really need the capability of an endpoint but this model appears to have the latest Conxant hardware that will be used in Linksys routers for the next 1-1.5 years. It is fast and relatively cheap ($69)! There's a nice review at www.smallnetbuilder.com.

I really like this shareware logging program you can use with the Linksys to monitor traffic as well (LinkLogger). It gives you some nice reports.

Clocker

S

sanjeevani

If i setup my home computer as a vpn server (XP based), can computers connecting to it connect to internet? I am wanting to know if the computers (clients) connecting to my XP based vpn server can connect to the internet though the server?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
When I connect to my work through VPN and access the internet, I'm using their internet.
That's usually a config option/policy for the VPN. Whether to allow VPN clients to dual-home (VPN for work access; PC's 'net connection for other) or route everything through the VPN/work network.

Routing everything through the VPN is usually preferred from a security standpoint since the client PC could be considered a bridge to the corporate network when dual-homing is allowed.