Death of a Deskstar

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Back in early 2000 I purchased two IBM 75 GXPs and a 3Ware RAID card. I set the drives up in RAID 0 for file storage.
This IBM/3Ware setup has been installed in at least 3 different motherboards and been used with numerous operating systems. I've never lost any data or had to rebuild the array for any reason.
But now one of the drives is starting to 'screech' and it has 16k in bad sectors.
I've read all the horror stories about these drives. I removed everyone that was installed at work just to be safe. But I believe thses two have serverd me well.
Now, what do I replace them with? A single drive?

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Share the wealth! :)

Bad sectors are always a reason to replace a drive IMO. But if a drive is working, I tend to think it'll continue to work. I still have one of two 75GB 75GXPs in service at home (the other had a head crash, which I'd call "natural causes" given the weird symptoms other people have had).

But, OK, people think their 75GXPs are flawed. Use it as a download drive, or as a playground for a different OS, or stick it in a USB tray.

And then buy a DM10 or a couple SP1614Ns to replace your old IBM units. You'll get double the storage and a substantial boost in performance for your ~$200.

Handruin

Administrator
Fushigi said:
Well, I'm about to acquire about 60 18GB 15K SCSI drives (IBM & Seagate). :D

What do you plan to do with 60 18GB 15K drives. :D

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Good frickin' question. First would be to decide if I want to remove them from their AS/400 drive mountings or not. If so, I'll sort them by maker & generation.

Regardless of mountings, after I offer a firesale to anyone here I'll likely ebay the rest.

Oh, a pair of AIT2 tape drives and maybe even a couple of LTO2 drives will also be forthcoming. I'd probably keep the LTO2s but sell the AIT2s.

BTW, the drives will have been on 24x7 since their installation. As they were all purchased OEM, I couldn't tell you if they have warranty left or not. If OEM disks come with 5 year warranties then they may still have some warranty left.

FWIW, these are third party disk drives we bought for our AS/400 some time ago. As the old AS/400 is going back to IBM sometime in January, we will be returning the IBM equipment to them. That would exclude 3rd party stuff like the disk drives & the AIT2 tape drives. I don't yet know what'll happen with the LTO2s as technically they are IBM drives but are external to the system chassis.

All of the drives are hot-pluggable but since thay are in separate mounting kits I'm fairly sure they're standard 68 pin drives.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I still have Six 45GB IBM 75 GXP's a running 24x7. I have yet to have a failure. To me they have been good drives unlike my 250GB WD's and Maxtors which have been less than stellar.