Dell selling Opterons

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Strangely I can't find Dell selling anything to drop the processor into. I wonder if this is a case of NY state having to purchase things through Dell and yet desiring an Opteron.

Hopefully it is as you said, the end of the resistance.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Around 10 - 12 years ago, when Dell was really starting to emerge as THE mail-order OEM, there was a rumor that Dell's boxes were literally built and configured by Intel.

As I think back, that might be true. Intel wasn't marketing motherboards then, and it had to start someplace.

Dell has always had very close ties to Intel, and it really is a sea change to see Dell (and for that matter Sun) move toward AMD.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
It was there; I saw the page. They must have pulled it with all the hits the page must have got as the news spread. Bunch a chicken!

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Yep, saw it too. Opteron 148 for (I think it was) $849

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't see the significance. Dell gets their stuff from Ingram Micro just like everyone else. The fact that they're selling AMD stuff in their accessory store that drop ships from Ingram Micro doesn't mean much if you ask me. Call me when they start shipping systems with AMD chips in them.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
Dell's on one side of town and AMD is on the other side of town (ahem... near the Motorola PPC factory).

After allthese years, it's good to see that Dell finally noticed the existence of AMD.