Desktop, Notebook, Tablet, Other Tablet, Phone

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't know how many people this applies to, but I am actually so blessed as to have multiple computer systems that I can (if I so choose) use every day.
What I'm thinking about right now is the ways that all this stuff has changed how and what I do.

I still prefer to use a desktop when I have one available. But five years ago, I wandered between a half dozen of them and now I really only use a total of three. In part, this is because the monster machines where I spend the majority of my time have two or three screens each, at least one SSD and enough CPU cores to be responsive no matter what I'm doing. Still, I'd conservatively estimate that I spend 10 hours every day on desktop machines.

My 8.9" tablet is my goes-everywhere-I-do buddy. It's instant-on. I can look at Google Docs (all my systems sync MS Office documents to Google docs) or any of eight email accounts; I have a serviceable VPN and RDP connection to many of the places I might need one, can stream video from home with Plex and most importantly, it's the tool I use for reading ebooks.

My notebook is suffering from tablet encroachment. It's about as nice as notebooks get, but I primarily use it only in training sessions or at customer sites. It's weird to me, but there are weekends where I barely turn it on. I have a dock for it in my office, but so far I've resisted making it my full time work computer, mostly because doing so would mean giving up a monitor. Hilariously, a couple weeks ago I found that it was most useful as a backup to my PHONE, since its long battery life outlasted my Evo and Google Voice means I can make a call from Gmail as well as Sprint. The swiss army knife of functionality means that there are times when it's unbelievably helpful to pull up a VM or pull some data off an iffy drive, but around half the stuff I might've done on one three years ago is now happening on my larger tablet.

My 10" tablet sits on my desk in its dock, usually with Google Calendar, a Skype session (since I'm too lazy to run the Windows client) and the management app for my phone system running (ditto on the lazy). That crap just sits there and stays logged in to those few services. I don't really need the 10" tablet, but I find something to do with it several times a day.

My phone is two years old. I make about 20 minutes of actual calls a month and lately the only things I use it for are listening to music while I walk, reading emails, taking quick photos or pointless web browsing while waiting for food or in a line at a restaurant. My phone feels kind of tiny and pointless, except for the part where it makes calls and gets internet service everywhere. None of the other tablets I have can really do that. I roll my eyes at having to be married to the stupid thing, but then a few days later, I really, REALLY need to check something on Amazon.com while I'm in a National Park and then I don't feel so bad about having it.

You guys who have multiple devices, how are you seeing the breakdown between your available hardware?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My quality of life was much better before the latest round of technology. The smartphone is awful. Everyone expects you to be available 24/7. :(

Mercutio

My quality of life was much better before the latest round of technology. The smartphone is awful. Everyone expects you to be available 24/7. :(

It helps if you turn it off or at least remove audible notifications for most things.
My least favorite thing in the world is explaining to people that I. Do. Not. Do. SMS. Ever.

(OK that's no 100% true, but the three people who can send me them are white listed and only allowed because they generally don't do it).

But that's the biggest insult in the world. Not only do you need to be available 24/7, but available 24/7 on one specific device that for 99% of humanity can only be responded to with that one specific device. Instead of all the other gadgets that can do absolutely everything else besides SMS.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I feel that way about the text messages. Dirty Jenny always sends me text, never emails. :crap:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm using the iPad less now that I have a phone with a descent size screen, about every other day for web browsing and email. It's also my backup offline GPS at the moment but not for much longer. i might not have a tablet for much longer. Thing is when traveling it's a different story, it's pretty much the only computerish thing I bring except for the phone.

On the Note I instant message and text far more than I call. I do appreciate the google voice calling experience though. After that it's all about music, podcasts and ebook reader. I haven't found one web browser that is as good as mobile safari but I think that is a problem with this fork of android because I found I got along well with the stock browser on the nexus. So right now it isn't really in the phablet class though I expect and require that to change when I get the Note 2 when those hit the street. With that I should be able to do away with the ipad.

I only use my big game computer once or twice a week because it doesn't do the instant on thing like my laptop, tablet and phone do plus the thing is just a bit noisy despite everything I can do so I don't want it on in the office all the time.

Currently my constant annoyance is the KVM experience between two laptops and a desktop is just not working out for quick switching back and forth, I have griped about that elsewhere. So I seem to have settled on having the personal laptop not in the mix and on the desk by itself and the work computer takes the good keyboard and big screen.

Mercutio

Why are you bothering with KVM in the first place? Why not RDP or VNC?

The phone/tablet situation really bugs me. I see a lot of people who have both devices out, smartphone and tablet. I can only assume it's because they're using SMS on their phone. Why isn't there a worthwhile general-purpose SMS to IM or SMS to email gateway? I'm aware that Gmail kinda-sorta does it, but almost no one knows that and it can only be used for plaintext. No MMS or formatting.

As far as mobile browsers: Chrome works on ICS devices (and ironically it's an option on istuff now, though it's just a reskin of safari I think) but not the hordes of older things. I found Dolphin to be crashy in weird places and Firefox to be incredibly uneven, both better and worse than the stock Android browser.

Talking to a cross section of my students (60 year old men) and strippers (20 year olds who ALL have smartphones), a couple interesting observations have emerged. One is that NO ONE LIKES THE MOBILE WEB. They all want to use a single-purpose viewer app and stay within a very small number of internet services. I've literally spoken to people who have never browsed the web on a smartphone with its browser. Just used Facebook/Tumblr/Twitter. I've also come to understand that the Facebook experience on mobile devices is beyond god-awful, though I don't understand why. Also, most of these people - both old men and very young women - never even LOOK at email on their phones, and in many cases they don't even know how to set it up. Likewise, no one signs in to a chat client. The vast majority of these people are under the impression that they have to pay for any app they install. Which might very well be true if all they look at is Apple Store stuff, but I can't even say how many times I've casually opened the Play Store and been asked if the program I downloaded was going to show up on their next phone bill.

Anyway, there's an astonishing level of ignorance about what smartphones are and should be used for, but the big winners seem to be SMS texting (instead of Email or even IM, even when both are baked in to the address book used to send SMS messages) and Facebook and the loser is absolutely anything that isn't those things.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
For me, most of my work is on my 3yr old desktop, and for Uni it's my 10" netbook - since it has a full day use out of it (up to 9hrs if I set the CPU performance manually, with ~7hrs if left to ondemand). Hardly use my phone except for the occasional causal game (one touch drawing at the moment) while waiting between lectures are Uni... I only average around 30-40 txt messages + about 10min of calls a month...

So not that much has changed in the last 5 yrs for me...

My wife uses her tablet more than her laptop now (due to portability and it's mainly for web/email), and her phone is a purely emergency contact device when out...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The work machine is locked down on a VPN and RDP/VNC won't help here. This is one of the machines I experimented with vsphere converter on, which worked well but I am sure IT would flip their lid if they found out I bypassed their full disk encryption and copied the whole computer proprietary info and all to a VM on an "unsecured" laptop. So that's why that company dell E6410 sits in a dock connected to a KVM. My company didn't even spring for the nice screen on that. I have had them swap the dock twice and wound up with a different model dock this last time, nothing changed the no video problem from this laptop. I even tried display port straight to the laptop minus the dock, same thing, no video 2 out of 3 times switching to the machine.

Funny thing is after the latest firmware update on the macbook pro it started having the occasional no video trouble too, it was rock solid before the update. I see they just released so updates on that front and I think it is fixed now, hasn't happened again.

Common thing between the two machines is intel video. 3000 on the dell and 4000 on the macbook. My game machine with AMD 6950 never had a problem. Couple other desktops no problem either.

SMS gateway? Google voice works perfect far as I can tell, no cell phone required. Only thing I notice is it isn't as fast as a text, I think the push messaging isn't quite that fast. From what I understand it's way better than the imessage system though I haven't used that.

I have settled on mobile chrome most of the time but there are a couple of things it won't do, generally working with pictures on web pages.

So in your opinion a facebook phone would sell well if it ever comes out? Keep hearing those rumors.

ddrueding

Fixture
Any time I'm faced with more than a sentence of typing I wait to reply until I can get to a computer. For the most part I don't travel with a laptop, they are just "compact workstations" in the bedroom and server room. My tablets have also been relegated to music playback devices in the garage and newspaper in the bathroom. The phone (Galaxy SIII) is my primary tool; e-mails are read there first, as are these forums and /. If I want to reply it can wait until I am next at a proper keyboard.

RDC from the phone is remarkably functional. I even have my aviation charts, sectionals, approach plates and airport directories on the phone when I'm flying. I also built a mount for the phone on my handlebars while riding the bike. Good for checking e-mails while climbing and listening to music. The other day I was able to put someone on speakerphone at 15mph and they didn't notice.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'll have an entire IM conversation on a phone but I feel the same way about doing a small to medium email and wanting a real keyboard.