problem Desktop pc needs Boot Selection Popup Menu to follow boot sequence in BIOS setup

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
[SIZE=+1]I find this weird. With each of my laptops, the way I specify the boot devices sequence in BIOS Setup [SIZE=+1]is followed without me having to bring up the Boot Selection Popup Menu page via F8 during a boot. With the desktop pc, the same sequence in BIOS Setup requires me to bring [SIZE=+1]up the Boot Selection Popup [SIZE=+1]Menu[/SIZE][SIZE=+1] page in order for it to work.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]All three pcs use [SIZE=+1]Win 7. The two laptops use Win 7 Home Premium Edition 64 bit. The desktop uses Win 7 Ultimate[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1] 32 bit.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] Any ideas why the desktop requires the extra step?

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]All three pcs have the following boot sequence in BIOS Setup:
[SIZE=+1]1. Removable device
[SIZE=+1]2. IDE-HL-DT-ST CD-RW[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]3. Hard disk drive ( [SIZE=+1]"SATA PM Samsung SP",[/SIZE] in my case )
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]If [SIZE=+1]I want[/SIZE] to boot to a hard disk drive, then I won't have a USB flash drive connected to a USB port, and I won't insert a [SIZE=+1]DVD [SIZE=+1]or CD into the optical drive. I wi[SIZE=+1]sh life was THIS easy![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
On your desktop, look in System Properties, Advanced System Settings, Advance, Startup and Recovery. Make sure that Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit is the default OS and un-tick the box for "time to display list of operating systems."
Failing that, I'm going to guess there's something goofy happening with the BCD entries for your OS. There's a tool called EasyBCD you can get to rewrite them if it really bothers you.

Also, "Removable Disk" is typically for something like a memory card in a card reader. Most system BIOSes treat flash drives as part of the hard disk boot order. If you have a printer with an internal card reader, that could be a reason your system is behaving oddly.

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
On your desktop, look in System Properties, Advanced System Settings, Advance, Startup and Recovery. Make sure that Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit is the default OS and un-tick the box for "time to display list of operating systems."
Failing that, I'm going to guess there's something goofy happening with the BCD entries for your OS. There's a tool called EasyBCD you can get to rewrite them if it really bothers you.

Also, "Removable Disk" is typically for something like a memory card in a card reader. Most system BIOSes treat flash drives as part of the hard disk boot order. If you have a printer with an internal card reader, that could be a reason your system is behaving oddly.
Thank you Sir. You nailed it. In the laptops, both boxes were unchecked. In the desktop, both boxes were checked. The title for the OS in each pc is "Windows 7", the basic OS name.