Diagnostic tools

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I need to get an up-to-date diagnostic toolpack together for myself, and as I haven't needed one in a long time, I'll start by asking here.

What do you use for diagnosing sick computers, hardware wise? Is there a good, one CD, sort of package? Anything to recommend?

MEMtest86 and the new version are something I'm familiar with, but haven't used much else in a long time.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
For hardware problems I like to use memtest86 for testing RAM, prime95 for testing CPU, might throw in 3dmark 2001(run several loops) for testing video/AGP bus if they're a gamer.

For looking at IRQ conflicts I'd use msinfo32 (i believe comes with win2k and above, not sure about 9x or NT 4.0)

For antivirus I'd use http://housecall.antivirus.com or sometimes fprot if they're on win9x.

Another thing that works well is a Ad-Aware, it searches their computer for spy/ad-ware and even some viruses and can remove all that junk automatically. This is something important for someone who has an internet connection and is a little "click happy".

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I like 3DMark 2001. It seems to exercise the whole machine much better than a simple CPU test - which I've found largely useless except for thermal testing.

A low level HDD test is useful. I don't know what I'll use now that:

a) IBM doesn't make drives, and
b) SATA becomes the standard

If you have access to Winstone or something better, I'd give that a whirl as well. To diagnose subtle problems, you need high level rather than low level tools.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't find software-based diagnostics to be useful, generally. I've seen way too many false positives out of the tools I've used.
I do use Belarc Advisor when I'm too lazy to open a PC up to find out what hardware I'm dealing with. Very useful, since it can usually ID the system board.