Digital Camera

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Yes but it seemed like a lot of effort for only 1.75x more zoom. Is it worth it?
Father's day is coming up so I am looking for reasonable gift ideas.

Handruin

Administrator
I know you said you have batteries, but if you want some cheap AA's, Amazon has a 48 pack for you at a reasonable price. :)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Earlier Canons appear to have had those fatal "E18" errors (Google, camera review sites). Has this problem been fixed in newer models?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
I know you said you have batteries, but if you want some cheap AA's, Amazon has a 48 pack for you at a reasonable price. :)

I can't even remember the last time that I bought an alkaline battery. I still use them in my keyboard and remotes, but am still running through my five-year-old collection of mostly used-up alkalines....

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
Even though I can fit AA-size NiMH batteries in my Nikon D100 (PS: I have the "motordrive" grip add-on), they will not work because they cannot provide enough voltage.

So, I HAVE to use the proprietary Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries or alkaline batteries with the Nikon D100.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Computer Generated Baby said:
Even though I can fit AA-size NiMH batteries in my Nikon D100 (PS: I have the "motordrive" grip add-on), they will not work because they cannot provide enough voltage.

So, I HAVE to use the proprietary Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries or alkaline batteries with the Nikon D100.

Under the heavy resistive load that a camera generates NiMH will be just fine with respect to voltage. This is because their voltage doesn't sag under load as much as other batteries (certainly the alkalines). A 1.5V alkaline is not delivering 1.5V in a camera, even when its 100% fresh. If you can use alkalines, you can use NiMH.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Yes Buck, the A95 can certainly do macros, but I've not explored the possbilities in any depth, just a couple of quick tests. I'd probably think it was quite good if I hadn't been spoiled by the CP4500s. My A95 is mow Araldited to a telescope adaptor - so no more macro test shots for me! I still have a CP4500 for landscapes (which the Canon is actually better at) and macros.

Next up is a DSLR to do the in-between jobs (400 or 500 mm lens - whatever the biggest thing I can hand-hold is). But first, some serious therapy on my credit card. It's a bit tired and emotional right now.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I find proprierary lithium battery packs quite nice in my Canon Digital Elph SD110. They last long enough for two days of shooting, and you can sometimes get the store to throw in a second one for cheap.

In fact, I find the Canon SD110 with lithium battery pack lasts twice as long as my older Olympus C-2040 with 4x super high capacity NiMH AA's. It's half the size and two-thirds of the weight. Cameras that use AA's are invariably big and heavy with lower power density. Not good for traveling.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
Next up is a DSLR to do the in-between jobs (400 or 500 mm lens - whatever the biggest thing I can hand-hold is). But first, some serious therapy on my credit card. It's a bit tired and emotional right now.

If it's emotional now, it's going to be contemplating suicide after you whack a DSLR and 500mm lens on it :)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
e_dawg said:
It's half the size and two-thirds of the weight. Cameras that use AA's are invariably big and heavy with lower power density. Not good for traveling.

Don't confuse small size with great usability. I find those smaller cameras nigh impossible to hold properly. Since they lack stabilization, two hands are really necessary.

Perhaps because I was raised on real film cameras, I find that a certain amount of weight gives a camera a good feel. Particularly, very small cameras feel cheap and fragile. More importantly, a light camera is difficult for me to hold steady.

While I guess it really comes down to personal preference, you won't catch me with camera that looks and feels like a toy.

Corvair

...a light camera is difficult for me to hold steady.

This should keep your point and shoot camera sufficiently steady, maybe...

v8_main.jpg

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Mubs said:
Earlier Canons appear to have had those fatal "E18" errors (Google, camera review sites). Has this problem been fixed in newer models?
So nobody know anything about this?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
e_dawg said:
Cameras that use AA's are invariably big and heavy with lower power density. Not good for traveling.

Huh? You are dreaming, old friend. Take a look at an A95. (Or any of many others broadly similar, Fujis for example.) The A95 is tiny, and it runs for ages on its little AA batteries. (I use rechargable Ni-Cds, of course.) With the Nikon 4500, I carried 6 of the proprietary batteries. I'm carrying one set of spare AAs for the Canon now, though I'll spring for an extra spare set shortly. Even with just the one spare set, I get more shooting in than I could get with the 5 spare Nikon batteries. And AAs are not bloody $120 each!

PS: Anyone want to buy some Nikon batteries? One careless owner, high mileage.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Tannin said:

Canon-500mm-IS-Lens.jpg

Tony,

I can only handhold my 500/4 IS on a 1D-series body for a few minutes at a time. Unless you are a bodybuilder, you would probably be better off with a zoom such as the 100-400 IS and a cheap body such as the 350D or 20D. There is a 4.3lb. 400/4 DO, but it is pricey and the DO produces horrible bokeh. The 400/5.6 is not an IS lens, so it is only good for bright light and fast shutter speeds (e.g., birds in flight). If you like Nikons, a D70 and 80-400 VR is easily handholdable. You would need to live with only 6 megapixels and unbelievably slow AF.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Too late. I already saw the post, Tea.

Excuse incoherence, I'm utterly zonked. Need sleep.

Lunar, thanks for your thoughts on that. Here is my task description:

The SLR is to do things that are too fast-moving to do with the scope. Mostly small birds, more or less sparrow size, and light is often only fair to middling. Absolute magnification is not a huge factor, but remember that I'm filling a gap here:

* Macros: the Coolpix 4500
* 1 x to 4 x magnification (plants, landscapes & etc): the Coolpix
* ( - insert new camera here - )
* 30 x to 60x magnification: scope & A95

I'm not used to thinking in terns of mm, but magnification-wise, around 10X to 15x would be suitable.

I'd like it to be light and easy to carry, but that's dreaming. It won't be.

It needs to be fast - shutter repeat rate doesn't matter too much, but for that first shot, the faster the better. Fast auto-focus is the name of the game. IS a big plus. Primary subject matter is the sort of small bird that doesn't stay still for more than a few seconds at a time. No tripod work, all hand-held. (I can't carry 2 tripods at the same time!)

Cost is not really a factor. I don't plan to go stupid, but I'll spend whatever it takes to get the right tool.

I imagine I'll go with a 20D, but haven't really looked too hard at the options yet.

You see, when I start looking at options, before I know what is going on, I'm stressing out the credit card again, and it hasn't really recovered from the last time I did that yet. What's a Canon 100-400 IS sell for?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:
Mubs said:

I did google it and read some horror stories but Cannon produced so many cameras that even that large collection is staticticly small.

Secondly I've never had problems with my A10 and now my A80 and I'm rough on cameras. They have not been subjected to salt or sand but I've dropped them both to the rocky ground from more than 5' (shoulder height).

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Howell said:
mubs said:
Mubs said:

I did google it and read some horror stories but Cannon produced so many cameras that even that large collection is staticticly small.

Secondly I've never had problems with my A10 and now my A80 and I'm rough on cameras. They have not been subjected to salt or sand but I've dropped them both to the rocky ground from more than 5' (shoulder height).

Also, thanks for digging that up. I'll keep my eyes open.

LunarMist

Tannin said:
It needs to be fast - shutter repeat rate doesn't matter too much, but for that first shot, the faster the better.

The shutter lag time of the 20D is only 65 ms, nearly as fast as the EOS 1D-series cameras (55 ms). The framing rate is 5FPS for 6 RAW frames, more frames for jpegs. The 20D is plenty fast enough for nature, though it does not handle as well as the 1D-series bodies.

I'm stressing out the credit card again, and it hasn't really recovered from the last time I did that yet. What's a Canon 100-400 IS sell for?

The B&H price for the 100-400 is US$1400, which is much less than the 400/4 ($5200) or 500/4 ($5500). Sigma makes a 80-400 OS lens for around $1000, but it is bulkier and heavier (1.65kg) than the Canon.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, Howell. The horror stories scared me, and I was amazed nobody here cared to comment on it one way or the other. Now they're talking about LCD problems on the newer series Canons. Sheesh.

LunarMist

I am not familit with teh specific werro codes, but Cabon regulalry updates the firmware to fix probelms. Some Lexar card were defective/incompatible and will be repalced under warranty. Like any eltroonic device, the asfets bet woudl be to buy a model that has been on your makret for six months. Thre may be an acce3ptable lebvel of dead pixels in teh display, similar to monotors, but I have not seem thast defecto.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Tannin said:
The A95 is tiny

LOL... That's a good one. May I refer you to Canon's own Digital Elph series, the Casio Exilim series, Pentax Optio series, and Sony T series. I guess when your reference is the honking big 900/4500 series Nikons, everything seems tiny.

With the Nikon 4500, I carried 6 of the proprietary batteries. I'm carrying one set of spare AAs for the Canon now, though I'll spring for an extra spare set shortly. Even with just the one spare set, I get more shooting in than I could get with the 5 spare Nikon batteries. And AAs are not bloody $120 each!

Again, if you're using the old school 900 series Nikon platform as your reference, you're not going to be happy about power consumption. As bad as you think the rechargeable lithiums (were they even lithium or NiMH?) were, you would be running through even bigger piles of rechargeable NiMH AA's.

The fact of the matter is that lithium rechargeables will always give you higher power density than rechargeable AA's. The chemistry of lithium batteries is such that it stores more charge per cubic volume than NiCd and especially NiMH. 50% more on average. Not to mention, to get enough voltage to power the circuits inside the camera, you need at least 3 of them to match the same voltage as a single lithium ion cell.
http://www.buchmann.ca/chap2-page2.asp

In fact, I specifically avoid digicams that use AA's and specifically look for digicams that use lithium packs for that reason -- can't beat the power density.

Put a lithium ion cell in the A95 of the same size/weight, and you will get significantly longer run times.

Stereodude

Not really a
LunarMist said:
I am not familit with teh specific werro codes, but Cabon regulalry updates the firmware to fix probelms. Some Lexar card were defective/incompatible and will be repalced under warranty. Like any eltroonic device, the asfets bet woudl be to buy a model that has been on your makret for six months. Thre may be an acce3ptable lebvel of dead pixels in teh display, similar to monotors, but I have not seem thast defecto.
Holy alcohol affected post Batman!

LunarMist

They are usually lithium ion batteries, the same type used in notebooks and small electronics for some time now.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Interesting... I wish they had rechargeable versions of all non-rechargeable lithium photo batteries (2CR5, CR123, CR2) when I was going through a bunch of them a year at $10-15 a pop!

LunarMist

It may not do you any good to know, but I buy 123A cells in bulk here and they work well.

Platform

So, how many milliamp-hours is the cutting edge these days?

I thought I recently saw some 2600 mAH NiMH AA batteries and some 800 mAH AAA batteries for sale.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thomas Distributing may be a tad expensive, but their service is outstanding.

The Powerex NiMH 2200 mAh AA's I bought from them are fantastic.

I bought some Lenmar's at the local Fly's Electronics - NoMem Pro 2300 mAh, and they suck big time. About 30-40% of the endurance of the Powerex batteries.