Does your computer have a tail pipe? These guys think it...

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I wouldn't mind try one on my PS but the price is a bit steep for what you're getting. I'd thnk it would be far less expensive to build one yourself.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
yeah, they show a diagram of the basic principle of how their product works. I would think that you could build your own if you had a few hours and were mechanically inclined.

I just thought it was a neat idea.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
It is a good idea. What is really needed are fans that don't make the noise in the first place though.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Very interesting, although if only PC makers would move to 120mm fans you could move the same volume of air without the need for a muffler. Those little high-speed fans they put on chipsets and video cards are the really annoying ones. They make your PC sound like it's full of mosquitoes.

To get further at the heart of the problem, we should use heat pipes to bring to heat to the outside of the case, and then use the side of the case as a huge passive heat sink. Or better yet, design components that don't produce much heat in the first place and you can get by with passive heat sinks.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Their diagram shows baffles (like an auto muffler) to reduce noise. That's true, but their claim that air flow is not reduced is pure bull. How can you do both at the same time? Even an auto muffler generates quite a bit of back thrust. Noise vs. air flow is a trade-off. It makes most sense to start with flagreen's idea - start with the fans that are least noisy, and improve from there.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
Why bother paying someone about US$30 for something you can make them for free.

I've been building essentially the same thing as these "mufflers" for several years now. I built one just last November. Mine have always had the same baffle as what they show in their diagram.

I've also used flexible plastic air duct -- sometimes with external insulation -- to transport away noise and heat as well as transport in air-conditioned air. I used to do this often with dozens of loud and hot Silicon Graphics and Stardent workstations back in the early and mid-90s.

GIANT

Why bother paying someone about US$30 for something you can make them for free.

I've been building essentially the same thing as these "mufflers" for several years now. I built one just last November. Mine have always had the same baffle as what they show in their diagram. You'd be surprised what you can do with free "egg carton" foam and cardboard.

I've also used flexible plastic air duct -- sometimes with external insulation -- to transport away noise and heat as well as transport in air-conditioned air. I used to do this often with dozens of loud and hot Silicon Graphics and Stardent workstations back in the early and mid-90s.

Jan Kivar

mubs said:
Their diagram shows baffles (like an auto muffler) to reduce noise. That's true, but their claim that air flow is not reduced is pure bull. How can you do both at the same time? Even an auto muffler generates quite a bit of back thrust. Noise vs. air flow is a trade-off. It makes most sense to start with flagreen's idea - start with the fans that are least noisy, and improve from there.

It doesn't reduce much air flow if the cross-section of the "corridor" or duct has nearly same area as the fan.

Jan