Domain name, email for family

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey gang,
Any tips for what it would take to register a domain name ("AdcadetFamily.net" or somesuch) and provide email addresses for family members? Just thinking about an interesting Christmas gift of sorts. Suggestions as to who to go through? Approx. costs? Other considerations?

Thanks!
Adcadet

Handruin

Administrator
Domain name registration is fairly cheap and easy through godaddy.com. You'll need a credit card and a few minutes to fill out the info. I personally use dotster.com because I've been with them and don't feel like transferring.

If you don't want a webpage, you can just buy an e-mail only service. I bet godaddy offers one, your situation is not uncommon. You'll probably pay $8 a year for the domain name, and maybe $5-$10 a month for e-mail hosting. Once you find an e-mail hosting company, you'll need to plug in the name server addresses into godaddy so that the domain name resolves to your new hosting service. That change may take 24-72 hours once you enter the name servers.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
BTW I just checked out Lunarpages and it is $8/month for their cheapest plan if you pay for an entire year ($96). But, they also give you a free domain name. 1GB of storage with option to get it increased to 3GB and 100GB transfer per month.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Can somebody explain to me why pairNIC and Dotster list FirstnameLastname.com as available but GoDaddy lists it as unavailable and wants me to give then $18.95 to "backorder" it?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Godaddy has been doing some kind of scummy things lately with redirects of parked domains.

I can register/host it for you if you'd like. It'll give me something to do with the 19GBs of space I'm paying for and not using.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
For web hosting I use pair.com and for my domain names I use their sister company pairnic.com and have been satisfied with both.

I second that recommendation. PairNic is a fair bit more expensive than GoDaddy, but I've never been disappointed.