Download speed test from our server

Handruin

Administrator
That still seems pretty slow for an 8 Mbit connection you have. Is that normal for you with other downloads? Maybe it is the distance...but that seems really low for a distance degradation.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Bounced around between 460-510KBps, took 49s, ~474KBps avg.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Saw Merc's high "score" just after I posted, so I tried again. Just a shade faster 48s, but more volitility: 450-530KBps.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Saw Merc's high "score" just after I posted, so I tried again. Just a shade faster 48s, but more volitility: 450-530KBps.

And now I have to go deal with that quickly multiplying rodent infestation I have on my harddrive ... out you darn blue squirrels!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
That still seems pretty slow for an 8 Mbit connection you have. Is that normal for you with other downloads? Maybe it is the distance...but that seems really low for a distance degradation.

I would say that about 170KB/S would be my normal DL speed. I have actually tested the BW and I get close enough to not complain. However, it is highly variable. I've had upto 800+KB/s but not with a single connection, but rather using a DL accelerator or a P2P program. In general, I normally don't pay that much attention to the speed, and when I get slow speeds, I have always assumed that the DL is server limited, rather than a problem at my end: that assumption invariably saves brain cells.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The changes must have worked. I'm getting about 800KB/sec steady which is around the highest I can get on my connection from anywhere.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I didn't test when it was slow, but did just now (decided to blow the 25 MB of data xfr). It is fast!

I use a download manager these days because my speeds and reliability suck. I never have gotten the 384 kb I'm paying for. The best I've seen so far is speeds that momentarily touch 40 KB; more typical is 30 - 32 KB.

This squirrel fella is fast. I don;t know if the download mangler (FDM - Free Download Mangler) lies, but I saw it touch 105 KB once (that's 840 kb, more than twice my rated speed), hover around 75 KB and 52 KB for a few seconds, and stay pretty consistently at 41-42 KB. This is the absolute best speeds I've seen so far with this ISP. Total time = 9 min 15 secs (555 secs).

I really, really miss a fast connection.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
What, no cat pictures?!

I'm seeing 75-80 KB/s, which is the best my connection will do. Glad you got them to look into it and resolve the problem. :)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
January 1, 2007
10:35 am - 11:05 am PST

Downloading the image, I peaked at 89KB/s and quickly dropped to 62KB/s for most of the download. At the very end, it hit 66KB/s. As a test, I uploaded the image to hlmcompany.com. My FTP upload speed was 34-35KB/s. Then, my download from hlmcompany.com (which is a shared server in Pennsylvania with a current load of .50) started at 201KB/s, dropping for a brief moment to a low of 181KB/s, and finally ending at 191KB/s. My cable ISP claims speeds "up to 12Mbps".