DVR Drive Upgrade?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I recently purchased a Toshiba RD-XS34. Is it possible to replace the hard drive with a larger IDE drive, or is there some funky firmware or hardware that would prevent it? (The device has a 160GB drive so LBA limits are not an issue.) Thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It doesn't look like that's something people are doing with that particular unit. At a guess, whatever's storing data on the drive probably knows the drive is a 160GB model. If you stuck a 250GB model in it's place and ghosted the contents of the 160 (assuming Toshiba didn't do something funny with the pins on the IDE interface), it'd probably just use 160GB of the 250. And that's also assuming the thing can handle the geometry of a 250GB drive.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Most HDD's in PVR's/DVR's have firmware optimised for 3x stream read/writes and reduced operational noise. A straight out swap might increase capacity but also has the potential to create I/O issues and at worst, render it unusable. Using 8MB cache drive should will help avoid any issues. I think all current 250GB drives have 8MB cache anyway.