Email hosting

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm looking for recommendations for email hosting, i.e. email under your own domain but hosted on some ISP's server. Minimum of 50MB per box, probably around ten boxes. IMAP or nothing.

Although cost is an issue, reliability is far more important.

Suggestions?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Is that a personal recommendation, Howell?

On a related note:

I'm looking to set up an environment with Thunderbird email clients running IMAP. Does anyone have an opinion on Thunderbird + LDAP for contact management? I'm under the impression that internet accessible LDAP servers could be a problem, so I'm thinking a local (or VPN) LDAP server - Tbird is supposed to keep a local copy of the address book (in the same vein as IMAP) so laptops should still be okay.

I'm not keen on exposing the client's server to the Internet - except for VPNs. I figure there's little or nothing to be gained by running your own email server, because most people don't care about 'collaboration'. In any case, you can already get some of that functionality with the Thunderbird/Mozilla calendar plugin/standalone app.

I'd really like bookmarks to work in the same way, but the relevant plugins for Firefox don't look straightforward (and I don't believe Mozilla or Opera support this anyway).

All comments gratefully accepted.

Handruin

Administrator
time, I've been reading on my web hosting company's site about a service provided by one of their customers. Let me quote his service and let me know if it offers the type of reliabiliy you ask for. I can find out from him what the cost would be if you're interested in his services.

I can't link to the foum post because it's in a section with restricted access to resellers such as myself. but I can provide you with his contact information if you'd like to discuss this with him.

Alan said:
Executive Summary

Get the benefits of multiple, geographically dispersed nameservers and backup mail servers at a low cost. Services provided by the best DNS provider in the business, EasyDNS, and arranged by me for other forum members.

Redundant DNS and mail servers service, including set-up: US $14.95/year

Redundant DNS and mail servers service, including set-up, plus domain name registration (via eNom): US $26.95/year

Background

I've posted here about the value of having multiple distributed nameservers and backup Mx (mail) servers. I simply would not risk my business and my e-mail on a domain set-up without that redundancy.

The DNS standard requires at least two nameservers per domain, though it recommends using more nameservers that are geographically distributed and on different Class C IP ranges. When we use our private nameserver on Voxtreme, we have only a single nameserver*. That is risky, as there is no redundancy and connections from other parts of the world can sometimes be slow.

Moreover, it's very risky to have a single mail server, as we do on Voxtreme. With the deluge of spam and viruses, it's more likely than ever to lose mail as the result of server load or errors. Backup mail servers provide redundancy, as they will receive your mail whenever your Voxtreme server is unable. Once your Vox server is again able, the backup mail servers will deliver the mail to your Voxtreme server.

* (Yes, you get two private nameserver names here at Vox, ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com, but those are just to get around the requirement for two nameservers. Both those names are on your single Voxtreme server, so that is really only one nameserver.)

Many of you have contacted me to ask about these services, but most haven't implemented them either because of the complexity or the cost. I have a solution for my fellow Voxers.

Solution

I'm buying services in bulk from EasyDNS, the best DNS provider in the business, and can in turn offer those services to each of you. I have eliminated the complexity of using external DNS by two means:

1. I will do all the set-up at EasyDNS for you, so you don't need to know anything about DNS.
2. Your private nameserver on Voxtreme will remain as your primary nameserver, so any changes or updates you do in WHM or cPanel will automatically propagate to the EasyDNS nameservers.

Additional nameservers provide enhanced performance and added redundancy. DNS lookups can occur to any of the nameservers, and will therefore usually occur on the fastest route. Resolution is quicker and more reliable.

You will get the benefit of five EasyDNS nameservers on different, multi-homed network backbones. They are distributed geographically and topologically. So, in addition to your Voxtreme nameserver in New Jersey, USA, you will have the benefit of two nameservers in Toronto, Canada, two in Texas, USA, and one in London, England.

You'll also get two backup mail servers (actually more than two, since each mail server address maps to a bank of physical mail servers), to increase the reliability of your e-mail.

Example

minardbernier.com is hosted here on Voxtreme. Its default set-up is, of course, to use private nameservers (ns1.alantext.com and ns2.alantext.com), and its mail server is also minardbernier.com. I've added EasyDNS services, so that the domain now has six nameservers and three mail servers, as shown below:

Code:

Nameserver IP address Location

ns1.alantext.com 66.246.90.133 New York, USA
ns1.easyDNS.com 216.220.40.243 Toronto, Canada
ns2.easyDNS.com 205.210.42.20 Toronto, Canada
remote1.easyDNS.com 64.39.29.212 Texas, USA
remote2.easyDNS.com 212.100.224.80 London, England
remote3.easyDNS.com 64.39.29.216 Texas, USA

Code:

Three mail servers:

minardbernier.com (at Voxtreme)
smtp.easydns.com (backup)
smtp2.easydns.com (backup)

Here's a dnsReports output on the example domain.

I specified only one private nameserver, ns1.alantext.com, since the "second" one, ns2, is just another pointer to Voxtreme. As the goal here is to improve performance and redundancy, it doesn't make sense to me to have two pointers to the same server. If the Vox server is slow or has a slow route between it and the incoming traffic, it's better for the lookup to try one of the EasyDNS servers rather than to try Voxtreme a second time. However, if you prefer to see both your private nameservers in the list, ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com, then I will add both of them for you.

How it will work

You provide me the following details:

1. domain name
2. domain registrar
3. if your registrar won't let you specify all six nameservers, what is their limit? (eNom and Godaddy allow all six)
4. primary nameserver hostname and IP address (if on Vox and using private nameservers, likely ns1.resellerdomain.com + your reseller IP)
5. mail server name (if on Vox, likely just yourdomain.com)
6. how many years of service you want to buy
7. your e-mail address

I'll contact you before I do anything. Then you will have to enter some changes in your DNS Zone in WHM. If you're not comfortable doing this, I'd be happy to do it for you. You'll also have to enter the complete list of nameservers at your domain registrar.

Finally, I will do all the set-up at EasyDNS. Your private Vox nameserver will be set as primary, with all other nameservers propagating from the primary. The two additional mail servers will be set to provide backup Mx.

If you want to transfer to my eNom account as registrar, I can also take care of the registrar entries for you and include another year or more of domain name registration. Otherwise, you'll have to make the registry changes yourself.

Offer

Redundant DNS and mail servers service, including set-up: US $14.95/year

Redundant DNS and mail servers service, including set-up, plus domain name registration (via eNom): US $26.95/year

Price is per domain. Payment by PayPal or cheque. Contact me by e-mail

Note: I charge my clients more for these services. These prices are for other Voxtreme resellers and their clients, as long as my point of contact is the Voxtreme reseller. One reseller who contacted me suggested that I should make some profit for my work. So, if you're going to resell this to your clients at a markup, you might consider sharing some of the markup with me.

Handruin

Administrator
FYI, all our hosting supports IMAP, so whatever he offers will also support IMAP.

Let me quote one of his customers from the restricted thread:

Caucus said:
Hello Group

I just added Alan's service to two clients. The first one uses X-cart and does about $40,000 a year in sales. As X-cart users know when a sale is made the orders department receives a e-mail and the CC gateway gets the info as a total. At busy times of the year the orders department were not getting the order but the CC gateway had the order and the customer charged.

Since I added this service the orders department has NOT lost any mail. In busy times I have not had people comaplaining they cannot get to the site.

I also had one client that is using MS Exchange that has a Admin that is a bit lacking in his abilty for setting up a new domain to accept mail. Alan walked my cleint through the process and had everything working in 30 minutes.

The clients admin was working on this for 10 days.

As others have mentioned, I am also quite ignorant in the subject but I do see the benfits of the service Alan has added. Great Job!

And another quote:

Charlie said:
Just a note to let everyone know that Alan is right on track. His methods of using external nameservers and mail servers are cost effective ways to increase the reliability of Vox websites and email at very little cost. They work with Cpanel and cause no problems, only benefits.

Using some of the info from his thread, I started using external dns and mail hosting about a month ago. It took me a while to get it all together, so I recommend that you get Alan do the initial setup for you and your specific needs. Once set up its a breeze. Pass the charges (+) on to customers as a premium service.

Most of you know that I am constantly looking for ways to defeat spam. While looking though e-mail headers for more spam insight, I am seeing a few each week that are coming from my externally hosted backup mail server. For whatever reasons, its nice to know that nothing gets bounced by any temporary server or connection hiccups.

dnsreports.com gives much nicer reports on externally hosted DNS and mail servers, warnings and failures drop dramatically within hours of setting and configuring the DNS hosting.

Thanks Alan, for good advice.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
I can find out from him what the cost would be if you're interested in his services.

Well, it's a better service than I need, but it sounds great. Any additional info such as quota and cost would be helpful, as well as how he deals commercially (if we want to purchase his service).

Thanks, Doug.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes use them, and if I'm not mistaken Blake uses them too. I use thunderbird and IMAP exclusively as a single user.

Handruin

Administrator
I sent Alan a personal message asking for more information. I'll post back once I hear from him.

Handruin

Administrator
time, I'm in contact with him, and he's inquiring about domain hosting. Is there an existing domain name that you'd wish to point to a voxtreme server for mail hosting, or are you also looking to have the domain hosted with the e-mail service?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Although the domain name exists, there's no website, just email.

It's a country primary domain (.co.nz), so is the first option preferable?

Handruin

Administrator
I don't think it matters either way, it was just a question he had for me.

I had a few more discussions with him and it looks like he isn't a full-blown reseller. What I mean is that he only offers a few hosting accounts on the side to people he knows personally, yet provides this e-mail service to anyone.

He suggested if your client needs a help desk support solution that you may still want to investigate a reliable host, but still consider this service for crucial e-mails. His price just for the backup dns and backup mail servers would be $55 USD per year if you were interested. That includes the setup and configuration on any hosting provider and includes periodic DNS testing to ensure the service is working properly.

With that said, it still leaves you without an e-mail host...but it at least gives you the option to provide a more reliable solution anywhere you decide to go. There is always the www.webhostingtalk.com, but I've read mixed reviews on their suggestions.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Unfortunately, StormFusion has charged my client's credit card but failed to deliver anything. They have also failed to respond to my email pointing this out, despite an auto-ticketing acknowledgement.

If anyone has a phone number or some other means of contacting them, that would be appreciated. Otherwise, we'll be reporting them as a fraudulent trader.

Thanks.

Handruin

Administrator

Handruin

Administrator
Unfortunately, mirage@xcensus.com is all that is listed in the thread I linked, and that address matches the registered e-mail for SF. Google returns very little about their company. Maybe Blake will chime in here to let us know if he has any contacts?

Can your client put in a fraudulent claim against his/her credit card company? I thought most offered protection for this?

Google finds very little for StormFusion, but the one thing I did find was posted in webhostingtalk. It was only a single thread and even that offered no valuable information.

However, you or your client may want to make a public post on the www.webhostingtalk.com forum. It could draw enough attention and you may find others with a similar issue. Or, you may see results from an owner of the hosting company. I know many web hosting owners frequent that site to either protect their name, or answer questions/problems. As long as it remains a respectful post (which you usually do anyway), you may see some positive results.